Alone

The rain pelted pale, exposed forearms, and it made his dark shirt cling uncomfortably to his chest. Raven hair was wet, matted upon his creased forehead. The patter of the drops could be heard against the cold, grey headstone, the only sound processable to the mourning man who stood there that Thursday evening.

Nico's head was hung low, the unrestraint tears that swelled within his shut eyelids only dropped to the ground every so often. It had been 6 years, 6 whole years since the death of Bianca Di Angelo, and Nico still couldn't manage to get over the day without emotionally breaking down in front of her permanent grave.

There was a time, where Bianca was all he had. After his mother's untimely and saddening death, and a unidentified father roaming the streets of any where in the world, it was Bianca who stayed by his side. It was Bianca who followed him from foster home to foster home. It was Bianca who had stayed alive and with him.

That was until 6 years ago.

Every time Nico would visit, he had to choke back a broken sob whenever he read the words engraved in the stone.
"A loss in a good person, is God's regrettable plague.
As even an immortal life, eventually fades."
He fell onto his knees, uncaring about the squelch of mad as he kneeled before the grave, tracing the cursive B of Bianca with a delicate finger tip.

Nico knew better than to question death, it was two years later he stopped asking 'why?'. Nico just knew Bianca was in a better place now, he doesn't know where, perhaps he never will, but knows it's well deserved, better than the short life they all live on this earth. Yet selfishness still internally begs for Bianca's return, and Nico knew it was simply not possible. He settles with admitting how much he misses his sister's presence, allowing the once concealed tears to shed for only Bianca.

He wasn't acutely aware of how much time had passed while he was mourning, only brought back into reality when a warm hand gently settled on his shoulder. The hesitant at first, but as it provides an ever so comforting squeeze, as if to say 'I'm here for you', Nico appreciates the support.

Bianca was all Nico had — for a very long time. They were foreigners in America, and life was already difficult enough when Nico, Bianca and Maria were all alive, but Nico was happy, and he couldn't care less about anything else. However, with his mother gone, Bianca was the reason Nico still woke up from dreamless sleeps, smiled on a grey day and lived in one hell of a life. But Bianca was then suddenly gone, and he then suddenly had no one.

But now, as he stood, pulled into a warm embrace as his chin rested on a chest and caring hands lovingly stroked his hair, Nico cried a little more into the scrubs of the man. Tears filled with raw emotion, not just the guilt, dread and overwhelming sadness. Since yes, Bianca may no longer be in the world any longer, but Nico was most certainly not alone.