Can I Get A Connection?

A/N:

uh... surprise?

I've been sitting on this chapter for around a year now. I just never found myself finishing it until today apparently. I also feel like I owe you guys a proper final (cry) chapter. So enjoy 8k of pining nonsense. A/N at the end, too.

There's a new and sudden transfer at Yancy Academy, and he's all everyone's been talking about.

Public or private, boarding or day, if there's anything that all high schools have in common, it's how alarmingly fast word gets around. Prestigious grounds and fancy uniforms won't stop teenagers from being teenagers, and has no impact on how gossip spreads like wildfire through these century year old walls.

Will doesn't know much beyond the undoubtedly distorted rumours that have been piled upon one another. So far, the only definitive facts he has is that the transfer is a boy, and one who is exceedingly important. Admittedly though, it's not much to go off of – especially considering that these two things apply to the entirety of the student body.

Yancy Academy is a reputed school, after all. And that means that it's a beacon for rich boys aged twelve to nineteen, with too busy fathers who just find it easy to ship their children away for a couple months at a time to keep them out of their hair. Fathers who place their whole trust in the staff and the headmaster to raise their kids for them.

But Will's not too fussy about these sorts of things, he's not exactly 'one of them' anyway.

He's lying down on his bed when it happens, on top of his tidied sheets with a book in hand. It's the weekend – a Saturday afternoon to be specific – so it's particularly strange when they knock on his door since room inspections only ever take place every Sunday, Wednesday and Friday.

Surprised though he may be, Will's quick to bookmark his page and answer the door. It opens to Bacchus's ever-present scowl, looking as unsatisfied with life as ever as he stands in the corridor.

"Mr Solace," the deputy headmaster starts, his tone as colourful as cement. "I'm not intruding on anything, am I?"

"No, sir." Will answers, shaking his head despite knowing full well that he doesn't actually care. Just formalities and all, he supposes.

His eyes, always so strangely deep and purple, narrow slightly. "Nothing, eh? No homework? No studying to do? Your mock examinations are coming up in a few weeks, Mr Solace. I certainly hope you're not slacking."

"I'm all up to date, sir."

"Excellent," says Bacchus grimly. "There are matters to be discussed that concern you— no, don't interrupt. As you must have heard by now there is a new student that has joined today under short notice. The properintroductory preparations therefore have not been made, so we thought it fit to put him under your responsibility."

Bacchus pauses, beady eyes scanning him for any sort of reaction that he could write off as insubordination. When Will says nothing, he carries on with a huff.

"It wasn't my idea, of course, considering that we have a wide range of bright students to select from..." Will almost rolls his eyes. "Yet I admit that your situation could make this ideal."

"...My situation?"

Bacchus laughs humourlessly, with unsettling croaks almost as loud as some of the floorboards around here. "Now, now Mr Solace, you really didn't think you'd keep this room all to yourself for the rest of the semester, did you? All the other students pair up, what makes you think you're so special, hm? This is all entirely based off your rooming arrangement."