Chapter 40

Eva's POV

We all watched as Elaine ran away. Ivan made a move to follow her but surprisingly Xavier stopped him.

"Let her be," he said, dragging a hand across his face. Noticing the incredulous look on my brother's face, he showed Ivan his phone.

I got her - Blake.

The text read.

"What was he doing there?" I asked, wondering why on earth he was outside right now, when we had classes.

"He was answering a call," Xavier replied.

A small silence ensured as I awkwardly wrung my hands together. I never knew what to say at times like this, that was always Elaine's department. To make some kind of joke and lighten the mood. But she wasn't here right now.

"So what are you going to do now?" I asked. "Are you really gonna cut off everything with her?"

Xavier nodded, a weary look on his face. "I wish she never met me at all," he muttered to himself.

"Look Xavier, it's not my place to exactly say anything, but I know my cousin and she does have a point. She's going to start training now, isn't she? Then why..."

"Not you too," Xavier groaned.

Ivan, to my utter shock, chuckled. "Look sis," he mimicked before turning serious. "His gang and our gang have been rivals for centuries. Do you really think they stand a chance?"

I shrugged. "I agree with Elaine in this. If you really like her so much, then you would find someway to not end this."

Xavier glared at me and I almost shrunk back. I don't get how Elaine managed with his anger. "I don't want her to get hurt," he said slowly, as if I was some kid who couldn't understand anything. "And if being with me will cause her any harm at all, then I'll end it."

Now I got why Elaine was so irritated with him after their fights. He was extremely stubborn. But so was my cousin.

Aww, they are the perfect match!

Shaking myself out of my thoughts, I focused back on the situation.

"Fine, fine," I said, raising my arms up in surrender. "It's none of my business."

Xavier nodded, going back to the person he was the first time he stepped into this school.

That's when I realized just how much of an impact Elaine had on him. How much she mattered to him. He was actually capable of emotions when he was with her and if they did go on separate paths...

"Look, dude," Ivan started. "I can see how much you care about her and I'll try to keep her away from you but we all know how that will turn out. And...all I'm saying is that...maybe give it a try or something?"

I blinked.

Was this really my brother talking?

My brother, who was highly overprotective and against everything about Xavier and Blake and their gang?

Xavier's face hardened. "I thought you were supposed to not let her talk to me at all."

"I wasn't. But...she ran away before I could stop her."

"I really should change schools," Xavier muttered.

"What?" I spoke up with an incredulous look on my face. "Can you even imagine what that would do to her?"

"Exactly. She's too attached. I should move away before things worsened."

"I don't think you'll exactly help the not hurting her part if you moved away. Have you not seen what you do to her? She's always smiling now! And she actually looks happy."

A War of Guns and RosesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara