Chapter 32

This still breaks my heart—

***********

"Hello, beautiful," a charming little fellow greeted me.

"Hey handsome," I replied, smiling cheekily.

His grin widened at my reply and he held out a hand.

"Would you do me the honor of granting me a dance, m'lady?" he asked, offering me his hand.

"Of course," I answered, letting my hand slip into his.

Now, you must be wondering who the hell this was, whom I was speaking to with the utmost comfort. Well then, let me fill you in. This was Lucas.

Yes, yes, the same Lucas from the party a few days ago. He had cornered me just after I walked away from Tina.

"The look on her face! Priceless!" he had exclaimed.

I grinned at him. "Glad to see someone who shares the same spite towards her."

"Lucas Perkins, at your service, again," he grinned holding his hand out for me to shake.

"I'm honored to be in your presence, Sir Lucas," I teased.

He laughed and the two of us hit off.

"So you know Tina?" I asked conversationally.

"Oh yes," he shuddered. "Had the misfortune to meet her at a charity event. And oh god, that girl scares me."

"What did she do?" I asked curiously.

"Almost immediately as she saw me, she started clinging to my arm and chatting with me, with that high pitched voice, as if we were the best of friends." He made a disgusted expression. "No offense but I have no interest in girls."

I burst out laughing at his clear disdain of her. "And then she saw Xavier. She forgot all about me and began clinging on him instead," he shuddered again.

After that, we just hit it off from there and had been talking for hours.

I hadn't seen Xavier since my dance with him, so I had no idea where he was.

"Hey Luke?" I asked.

"Yeah?" He answered.

"Do you have any idea where Xavier has disappeared off to?" I asked, frowning. "He brought me here and now is nowhere in sight."

"Yeah," Luke grinned sheepishly. "He had to attend to some work...but he said he would be back soon."

I narrowed my eyes. "Work? Here?"

"Yeah. But he should be back in a few minutes."

"Hm," I hummed.

And then we continued chatting before Lucas had to excuse himself for a bit. I chatted with Adeline's friends for a few minutes, before making my way to the food table again.

On my way, I was intercepted by Lucas again, and that's how the conversation started off. Luke guided me off to the dance floor and we laughed as we twirled around. He wasn't the best at dancing, not as good as Xavier anyway, and stepped on my toes for the umpteenth time before apologizing.

"I'm really not good at dancing," he cursed.

"No crap, Sherlock," I teased.

He playfully stuck his tongue out at me.

"May I have this dance?" a cold voice asked.

I turned my head a fraction to the left, to see Xavier standing there, shooting glares at us.