Chapter 2

Lately, I had been having the same dream every night and to be honest, it was starting to freak me out. It was of my mother, my father and I but there was always something wrong with the picture. Either we were situated in a strange place or my mothers features were all distorted. The color of her eyes was never visible, instead, my own eyes stared back at my reflection. Another thing common in my recurring dreams was that I could never reach for her even when she was at arms length.

And it frustrated me to no end.

I woke up, drenched in sweat with my alarm clock blaring in the background. Cursing it to hell, I managed to refrain from throwing it against the wall. My eyes widened as I took in the red numbers glowing in the dark.

7:45am.

The intercom buzzed before the voice of the housemaid filled the room.

"Miss, your bodyguard is waiting for you and he says you'll be late if you don't hurry."

"Yes, I'm coming," I nearly yelled back, bounding into the restroom with a towel. I hated hurried baths, but I didnt have much of a choice this time. Sliding the steamed glass doors back open, I emerged in just a towel, quickly pulling my brush through my tangled strands. I cursed when it started taking too long and just pulled my wavy brown hair into a messy bun. I tugged at my jeans, simultaneously trying to find my shoes while hopping around the room. This was what I got for not preparing beforehand.

"Bye, Dad," I shouted as I grabbed a toast, pecked his cheek and ran to the door.

"Bye, sweetheart," he rolled his eyes, used to me hurrying for school.

"Are you trying to get us late on the very first day?" Jake demanded, watching as I fell into the Mercedes in the most ladylike fashion. I was definitely not known for my grace.

I doubt you're known for anything, my subconscious retorted.

I ignored myself.

"It's not that late," I defended.

"Yeah, we have about an entire two minutes before the bell," he replied sarcastically.

"Exactly," I nodded, scowling when my hair fell to my face.

"Nice haircut," Jake noted.

"Thanks," I muttered, shuddering at the memory of all the distinct kinds of haircuts my Aunt Louise wanted me to have. Thunder by Imagine Dragons started blaring from the speakers and I winced, covering my ears. Giving me a sheepish look, he lowered the volume. Jake sped out of the driveway, his long fingers that I was considerably jealous of, drumming a tune on the steering wheel.

We reached school within record time. The warning bell rang just as I reached my locker where a furious Rebecca stood.

"Elaine McLean Elizabeth Greene! What the hell did I tell you yesterday?"

I winced at hearing my full name. "Um, that I would see you?" I asked meekly.

"No, dumb bucket! I asked you to pick me up since I didn't have a ride."

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry, Bex," I said, immediately feeling bad as a sheepish look overcame my features.

"Blame me for trusting you to remember something for once," she muttered, shaking her head.

"Ladies, I know this is an important conversation and all, but we really should be getting to class," Jake spoke up. I nodded and Rebecca sighed.

"Oh Jake, how I wished you didn't bat for the other team. Such a shame."

I wrinkled my nose at her as Jake grinned back. "Okay ew, Rebecca. Go away."

She winked and sashayed away as I rolled my eyes.