XXII

Another quick notice again. Cat does not speak a word of Spanish.

Maddeus

I'd heard Ry talking on the phone with someone... What I didn't expect was for a tall slim woman with dark long hair for miles and skin sought after by the goddesses...

To be his mom.

She looked like she could be his sister!

However I didn't mind because soon Enough she was sat beside me prodding me about everything.

She began by pinching my cheeks and telling me I was cute for "Mixed"
Which I found hilarious.
She then went on to ask who in my family I earned my blond curls from cause it clearly wasn't my dad.

Then she egged me to eat more cake even though we'd had pancakes for breakfast and I was already about to explode.

Finally she threw a fit because I refused to have any cake and apparently "I was so skinny I was gonna die and the devil was gonna take my half white soul."

Rayus and Caerys looked pissed at me the entire time as I spoke with Rayus' mom.

What was I supposed to do!? His mom was nice!

I decided to do the dishes since they were both glaring at me like they would kill me and I figured it was about time I pulled my weight...

" So Matteo what do you do for a living?"
Rayus' mom blinked up at me softly as I walked back into the room.

I didn't know how to respond to that so instead I chuckled.
"My name is Maddeus, Ma'am. And uh... I'm not too sure what's my position right now. I'm a businessman but... Business is looking pretty bad right now."

As usual, when someone's an outsider and tries to give advice...The words were unhelpful.
"Well I hope business picks up again soon."

Caerys shot up out of his seat clearing his throat and pouting in Rayus' mom's direction "Tia I'm heading out to school now. I never go late. So I'll see you later. Bye!"

She waved at him and watched him leave the room before quickly humming in Rayus' direction.

"He's my only baby and did you know he didn't want me to come here... Of all things! On his own birthday. The day I pushed this giant baby out of my.."

"Okay Ma! I think we get it." Rayus growled cutting her off.

His mother went quiet for a few moments playing with the homemade chocolate cake she'd brought. So when she asked to speak to me alone I felt confused watching as Ry got up and headed into the kitchen.

She leaned into me with a smile.

"I just wanted to say thank you Maddeus."

She blinked down at her plate.

"Rayus was brought up in a big home. It was always my brother, his kids and wife, my cousin and her kids. Rayus' father left when he was a little one."

She chuckled softly staring down at the table with a happy glow in her eyes.
"He loves his family a lot but I think he always felt a bit... Of an outsider. Yknow? Rayus never had a clear father figure growing up... I feel like when he worked for your family it was the first time I've seen him care about family so much again... He wanted to protect you. Protect your father too. He said your father always praised him and looked after him. He tells me how you always made sure he got down time... "

My mouth had been hanging open " Uh no its nothing it's... Just... He never rests... "
She chuckled behind her manicured fingers.
" See! my baby doesn't change deep down. He doesn't know how to stop working. But it's because he cares too much no? I bet he sticks around even when you don't want him to. "