A New Camper Ruins Our Date *

Chapter 1

*Percy POV*

OF COURSE nothing would go wrong for a weekend trip at Camp-Half Blood. There was 0% chance of monster attacks, wars or even a new camper that's related to you, arriving. That's what I told myself, anyway.

So there I was, hands entwined with Annabeth, walking along the beach. We were discussing what we were going to do after we finished our Majors at the college campus at New Rome. Annabeth was talking about how she was going to build this structure with these supports in this location and it represented this type of whatever she was talking about.

Honestly I was just trying to understand how Annabeth managed to understand all of this whilst still being dyslexic. Maybe it came in the bonus package as being a child of Athena.

But a different problem worried me, worse than sending Annabeth on her solo mission in Rome, harder than the guilt of Leo's death, and more horrifying than falling into Tartarus.

The ring weighed heavier in my pocket with each step, I was worried she wouldn't like it, that she would say no, that we were too young. Nineteen was old enough to get proposed to... Right?

We eventually came to Thalia's tree, Annabeth pressed the palm of her hand on the Tree in a movement of respect. Her fingers traced the scar on which the tree had been poisoned. Peleus gave Annabeth a scanning over before resuming his watch.

"HELP!" Someone called, a girl about fifteen with raven hair sprawled over her shoulders. Behind her, a stayr limped to the camp borders.

Behind them two ghastly creatures pursued, they were the size of a hellhound, with a similar shape. Their coats were a shifting mass of darkness and shadows, sewn together in worlds' weirdest fur. It's face was flattened, a snarl revealed sharp, rotting teeth. Chunks of flesh still remained from it's last meal, even from ten meters away I made a mental note to get these guys some breath mints.

The girl's protector was badly wounded, a large dark gash stained the white National Green Thumbs Day shirt.

Immediately Annabeth and I ran to aid the arriving camper, Annabeth rushed to help the stayr and I attempted to distract the ugly things.

"Hey, hog face," I called, uncapping Riptide who shot into it's full glory, "come eat some bronze!"

The thing snarled at me, it's hackles rose as it slowly approached me. I searched for a reference of the monsters; greek and roman but came up empty.

I looked to Annabeth for assistance, but she was tending to the wounded stayr, across the border. The new half-blood shivered next to them, then looked to me.

"It's eyes," she yelled, "that's it's weakness,"

Under the shifting coat, I could see two beady eyes, the size of a penny.

The thing decided to attack, I instantly dropped to the ground and stabbed it in the behind. It instantly spun, my sword in its backside, I went flying.

"Percy!" Annabeth cried, I looked to her to see the other hellhoundish thing jumping at me. In a reflex action, I swung my sword in a deadly arc and somehow slashed its eyes. The hellhound thing burst into a cloud of monster dust, coating me in a gold film.

The other monster made a strangled roar as if I'd just killed his BHFF (which I probably had) and attacked.

I leaped at the thing and aimed for its eyes, which were undefended, like his bro, he burst into a cloud of dust. Maybe his would find his BFF in Tartarus. They could have a pizza and movie night, or whatever monsters do on their Friday.

A thin crowd of demigods had gathered around the newcomer, most likely peppering her with questions. She just trembled in shock, still looking at where the monsters had disappeared.

"Are you ok?" I asked Annabeth who nodded. Several Apollo children surrounded the stayr in a flurry of medical activity.

"He'll be fine," one of them told me, I faintly recognised him, Lee Roberts.

I looked at the new girl, her hair was frayed but hung in choppy dark sheets, her pale face trembled and her thin lips pressed together. Her eyes were round, and wide with fear. They were the colour of the blue sea reflecting the sky on a calm day, but they trembled, as if they saw an oncoming storm.

"What's your name?" Chiron asked gently, shifting in centaur form beside me.

"Maria Fishing-Dale," she said.

"Undetermined?" Someone in the crowd of campers asked.

Coincidentally, the pale light of a claiming appeared above her head, the crowd gasped, something inside of me stopped in realisation.

"All hail Maria Fishing-Dale, daughter of Poseidon, Earthshaker, Stormbringer, Father of Horses, and God of the Sea,"

So that's there first chapter, please comment and vote, it makes me happier than a percy Jackson fan when they get their hands on the new Blood of Olympus book. Constructive criticism is allowed, (notice I said constructive).

Maria: Anything else?

Me: *shifts uncomfortably* um, what are you talking about?

Maria: Fine I'll do it. *sighs* none of the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus characters in this series are owned by Gracey, with the exception of myself (Maria) and Lee Roberts. All the Percy Jackson book franchise are owned by Rick Riodan, creator of Percy Jackson, and Annabeth Chase etc.

FOR OLYMPUS!

This Part has been edited as of 01-02-14