Chapter 8

Mia POV:

When I got home I was drained. Between work and the chaos that Nathan brought I couldn't even think straight. I'm so grateful that Jack took Ethan out for the day so he was exhausted. Jack was even nice enough to make dinner, apparently David had an emergency so he would not be home until very very late. Yeah I know what kind of emergency that is, a hot boy toy with a six pack kind of emergency.

"Thanks again for making dinner Jack. I owe you big time!" He just smiled, "anything for you Mia. And for you little man." Then he ruffled Ethan's hairs which got him a glare from my child. We all ate dinner and then decided to watch a movie. "Mommy, you sit in the middle." I held my hand up in surrender. "Okay, okay!" Jack just smiled. We put on a movie and we all got comfortable.

Before I knew it I fell asleep. I felt movement and then noticed jack getting up, "oh, I fell asleep." I looked over to a sleeping Ethan as well. "I should get him to bed." Jack shook his head, "relax Mia, I got him." I looked up at him with appreciation, "thank you." He gently scooped Ethan up and walked him upstairs to his bed. I was about to get up and go to bed when Jack came over and scooped me up bridal style.

I started laughing. "What are you doing Jack?" He chuckled, "putting the princess to bed too." I should protest but I was way too tired so I just nodded and wrapped my arms around his neck. As he was placing me into bed he tripped. Luckily I landed in my bed but Jack landed right on top of me. I looked up at him and he just stared into my eyes. Oh crap, he's going to kiss me. I was waiting for the kiss but instead he kissed my forehead. "Good night Mia. I'll see you in the morning." I was stunned into silence, he didn't kiss me. Why? I know Jack is a ladies man and likes to play the field. Am I not attractive? I buried my head into my pillow and let out a small scream. "Grow up Mia, he's your employee." I told myself. With that last thought I fell asleep.

The next morning I woke up nice and early. I did my morning routine and headed downstairs. Of course there was Jack and he handed me my coffee. I started to speak and Jack did as well at the same time. We both chuckled. "You first Mia." I shook my head. "No go ahead." He seemed reluctant and started rubbing the back of his head. "About last night, I want to apologize if I crossed a line." I put my hand up and stopped him. "Jack, stop. You did nothing wrong." He seemed hesitant. "Are you sure?" I nodded and gave him a genuine smile, "we're good Jack. Actually I wanted to know if you wanted to come to the Hampton's with us for the weekend? You'll be off the clock of course so you can go and have fun on your own." He blushed a little. Awww. "Really, you want me to come?" I nodded. "Of course, but don't feel obligated." He shook his head. "No, I'd really like that." I smiled again. "Okay, it's settled then. We leave Thursday morning. So be packed and ready." With that I waved goodbye and headed to work.

My day felt better already. I got to work and had a genuine smile on my face. Sadly, it didn't last. My PA buzzed in "Mia, Mrs.Williams is on the phone for you." Ugh, and my morning was going so well. "Thank you Katie, I'll take it". I clicked over. "This is Mia Constantine." I could here her sigh, "glad you could make it to work Mia. You know my boys go in much earlier." I looked at the clock and it was 7:30am. "Well, I'm glad I don't work for that company then." I know that ticked her off, "enough of the small talk. My husband and I would like to see our grandson since you cut our visit short on Sunday." Why can't I punch her through the phone? "With all due respect, that was out of my control." She groaned, "whatever the situation was, we didn't get our full visit, so to make up for it we would like Ethan to spend the weekend with us." Oh this lady is out of her mind. "Sorry, but we will be away for the weekend." I could tell she covered the phone. "Well, change the plans or go without Ethan. End of discussion." Then she hung up. She actually hung up on me.

I refuse to deal with this woman anymore, I don't care if it's Ethan's grandmother or not. I instantly called her husband Gary. "Good morning Mia." See, someone who knows how to be nice, "Good morning Gary, sorry to bother you at work." He laughed, "no sorry needed, what can I do for you young lady." How do I say this in a nice way? I actually like Gary and don't want to be mean. "Gary, I have, umm, well I had a slight misunderstanding with your wife." I could hear him take a deep breath. I don't know why but I decided to tell him everything, not just what his wife did and ordered but also the situation with Nathan threatening me to take me to court. "Mia, I sincerely apologize for both my wife and son. I will have a talk with both of them. Don't worry about the weekend. We are going to the hamptons, that's why she wanted Ethan overnight." Damn it! "We will actually be in the Hamptons as well, so if you would like to see him I have no quorums about that." "Really, Uh thank you. Thank you so much. That would mean the world to us. I miss him. Only seeing him twice a year is hard, he's growing so fast." I could hear the sincerity in his voice. "Listen Gary, I don't want to keep Ethan away from you, he really enjoys being around you. All I ask is for some respect and some boundaries." He sighed "of course. I'll talk to my wife and son and I promise I'll take care of everything. I apologize again and I look forward to seeing you guys this weekend." With that we said our goodbyes and hung up.

Okay, that could have been worse, at least there is one adult with a head on his shoulder in that family. The rest of my day went pretty fast. I was excited to get home and just hang out with my kid. Ethan was excited to see me and we decided to go for a bike ride around the park. Afterwards we got tacos from my favorite food truck. We were heading back to the townhouse when we ran into Benny.

"Mia, is that you?" Damn it, I don't like people meeting my son unless I trust them. "Hey Benny, how are you?" He smiled. "Great now", then he noticed Ethan. "Well who's this little guy? Is he your brother or nephew?" I was about to answer when Ethan did instead "I'm her son. She's my Mommy. Understand?" Benny looked surprised. "I didn't know, I didn't know you were married. "I'm not actually." Benny's face lit up like a Christmas tree. "Well then, I was planning on calling you tomorrow, I wanted to know if you were free Saturday night?" He looked so hopeful. "I'm sorry, we're actually going to the Hamptons for the weekend." "Really? I have a house in the Hamptons. Maybe we can grab dinner?" Ethan was staring at me and I was at a loss for words. "Why don't I call you tomorrow to talk about it?" He finally noticed me looking at my son and feeling awkward. "Of course. I'll talk to you tomorrow Mia. Hey it was nice meeting you little guy." Ethan rolled his eyes. "Yeah bye old guy." I can't believe Ethan just said that, it took everything in me not to burst out laughing.

When we got home I got Ethan ready for bed. I took a quick shower and headed for my bed only to find David sprawled out in it. I crossed my arms and looked at him. "What are you doing in my bed?" He crossed his arms like me in a mocking manner. "Since when don't you want to cuddle with me?" I tried to pretend like I was mad but I couldn't and jumped into the bed with him instead. He started laughing. I swatted his chest "shut up! You spoiled me while I was pregnant. That stupid pregnancy pillow sucked, you were so much more comfortable!"

David filled me in on the cutie he spent the night with and I told him about the incident with Jack as well as my encounter with Benny. "Ethan seriously called him the old guy? Hahaha, god I love that kid!" I couldn't help but laugh. We talked about the Hamptons as well and I told him how I agreed Gary and Lois could see Ethan. David wasn't happy about that. "Look, I get that Gary is okay but his wife and son are starting to piss me off. They broke the contract already, you don't have to play their little game. Get you lawyer involved and take control Babygirl." I sighed. "I know I should, but I feel bad. Even though Ethan doesn't know they are his grandparents at least he still has them around. Plus, Gary promised to take care of the situation. I just want to give him a chance. If it gets worse, I'll pull the plug." He just nodded.

We decided to watch stranger things on Netflix which freaks me out. I kept covering my eyes while David laughed at me. "It's not funny jerk!" He still didn't stop laughing while wiping a tear from his eye. "Yes it is, it really is." Why is he my best friend again. Oh yeah, cause he is loyal and amazing. I really am lucky. My life really turned out well. I have amazing friends and the best kid ever. I have a great job and I'm in a very good financial situation. My only issue now is my babies daddy and his family.