The Gold Mines

The first time Hoshino saw him was outside of the gate to the village.

He couldn't see his face, but he did catch a glimpse of what he was wearing.

A dark robe with the pattern of red clouds.

His mother's words rang in his ears and he turned on his heel and fled, abandoning his assignment to gather groceries for his mother.

Once he relayed what he had seen to Iro, the head of the Mizu clan had instantly ordered Akira to say with him the rest of the day and had taken off to the Hokage's office.

"Akira-San, what's gotten into my mother?" Hoshino asked the Mizu Jonin after one of their sparring sessions.

Akira tensed. "It's not my place to tell you, Hoshino-Sama."

"Why?" Hoshino pressed. "It's about the man I saw, isn't it?"

Akira pursed his lips. "I'm sorry, but I can't say. If anyone should tell you, it's Iro-Sama."

Iro was pacing in the Hokage's office worriedly as she told him what happened. The old man removed his pipe and frowned deeply. "This is troubling..."

"Troubling?" Iro demanded. "He knows! He knows and it's only a matter of time before he comes for my son!"

"Iro, please, calm down."

"CALM DOWN? YOU WANT ME TO CALM DOWN?!" The furious Mizu Leader roared. "If he knows, he will stop at nothing to get to Hoshino, you know that!" She slammed her hands on his desk, causing it to break in half.

The Hokage sighed, clearly used to worse than this. "Iro, listen to me. Kakashi will be informed of the situation and he will undergo private training sessions with Hoshino. Hoshino will continue his training with you and Akira and I'll do my best to contact the person who can offer the best help in this scenario."

"You don't mean-" Iro didn't finish her sentence. "It's been years since she was here."

"She is the most equipped to help your son. If all goes well, she'll be here two days after the Chūnin exams." The Hokage told her. "Iro, I know that this is hard and worrying, but as long as I reign over this village I will do everything in my power to protect Hoshino. Is that clear?"

Iro sighed, visibly deflating. "Alright... but I need to get some things ready, so do you think you could send Hoshino out on a mission so he isn't aware?"

The Hokage smiled. "It so happens that I have the perfect mission for him."

Haku and Hoshino were sparring later that afternoon in the Mizu compound. They had learned something interesting; the Mizu clan originally were a part of the Yuki clan, but were exiled because they weaponized the Ice Style Kekkei Genkai. After that, the clan had focused on altering their chakra abilities until it became what it was today.

Which was why Haku was trying to teach Hoshino Ice Style Jutsu while Hoshino tried to teach him Lightning Style.

"Hyouton: Haryou Mouko!" They both called at the same time, forming the hand signs. Two tigers made of ice formed and attempted to crush the other while the two boys rushed forward.

Hoshino was easily more flexible and strong than Haku, but the Yuki boy outstripped him in speed still, something Hoshino hoped to change over time.

They knocked each other back after a brief exchange of blows, both landed lightly on their feet.

"This is certainly an enlightening experience." Haku commented.

"I'll say!" Hoshino replied with a laugh. "You've definitely gotten faster since last time."