Chapter Fifty Four

Start from the beginning

Everyone stared, and when my sister in law went to open her trap, “Aunt Emmanuelle has been eating a lot of food. She’s just gained weight.”

Was she serious? I couldn’t believe that she would say such an evil thing. I took the high road, and ignored her explanation, “No, it’s actually because I’m having a baby that’s why. A little boy is growing inside my tummy.”

“It’s a boy?” Simon asked, suddenly smiling. He only had daughters. Poor him, when they all turned 13 and entered began to experience hormones.

I gave him a nod, trying not to act happy that it’d taken a child to ask me questions to find out whether or not I was having a boy or a girl. “It’s a boy, and he’s going to be born very soon,” I said back to Logan.

“Where is Geoff?” Sandy asked, more judgmental than curious. “Milking cows?”

My eyes narrowed in on hers, “its Judd. Judd, not Geoff.”

“No need to be rude,” she bit back.

“Well maybe if you bothered to get to know someone other than yourself then you’d know my husband’s name,” I muttered.

“Elle!” Lee warned. “Not in front of the kids.”

I didn’t need this right now. Plastering on a fake smile, I looked at the kids who were intrigued by their Aunty Elle’s big belly. “My husband is at home, working because he owns a farm full of animals. He actually called while I was in the bathroom, he’s on his way here so I need to go to the hotel before he arrives.”

Liar, liar, my pants should be on fire.

Three of my brothers looked surprised, but luckily believed my lie. Cole stood up, clearing his throat. “Well, let’s get you back then. I won’t have my pregnant sister getting mugged in a taxi, come on.”

I had my car. “Well, I was going to drive, it's not that far.”

Simon shook his head. “Get the car tomorrow, you look too exhausted to drive, come with us.”

My gut was telling me not to go, but I didn’t want to raise suspicion with anyone of them. If I denied his offer then they’d only follow me and it wasn’t worth the drama. Sitting in the back seat, Lee was starting the car up, Cole was in the front seat beside him, leaving Simon beside me.

Instincts told me to get out. “Shoot, I need to pee. Pregnant bladder and all.” My hand pulled on the handle but it didn’t budge. What the hell. “Why is the door locked?” I asked, trying to keep my cool but I was going to lose it big time.

“You’re not going to the hotel,” Lee seethed. “You are coming with us. The door’s on child lock because that’s what you are, a brat of a child throwing a tantrum.”

“Excuse me?” I gasped, “You’re kidding right?”

Simon wrapped his palm around my wrist, squeezing and narrowed his eyes. “This is for your own good. You need help.”

Help? “Let me out, or I will fucking kick someone in the head!” I yelled, trying to brush off my brother’s strong grip.

“Shut up!” Simon hissed. “Just shut up!”

“I swear to god, Judd will-” I cut myself off. I couldn’t say he’d eat them now could I?

“Judd will what? You and he are done. I know it, you know it, so stop pretending that you have a family!” Cole spat back, giving me a dirty glare.

“Mum would be disgusted with the woman you turned out to be.” Simon muttered, looking out the window as he brushed a hand through his flop of hair.