Chapter Four

Judd and I sat in silence eating. He seemed to be in deep thought about something, I on the other hand was debating whether or not I should call my brothers and let them know where I was staying. With a man, a stranger. My god, they’d flip out and hold an intervention.

Slicing up another piece of steak, I put it in my mouth and chewed. He was right, it was pretty good but I couldn’t eat this each night. The size of the steaks, were massive. I had no idea how he could eat this and three large potato’s also.

Clearing his throat, he looked up. “I need to take off for an hour or two after dinner. Are you going to be alright on your own?” he asked.

My mind raced with thoughts, where did he need to go and why not mention it earlier. “Ok. Do you have any movies or books?” I asked, that could distract me from picking up my phone.

“No. I don’t have time to read or watch TV,” he sighed, rubbing his temples. “I could look in town if you really want to read?”

“Uh, I think I will pass. Do you have a spare room?” I asked.

“Yes. Why?” he asked.

The obvious silly. “Can you take me there, I might just go to sleep after I try finish all of this,” I said gesturing to my plate.

When I looked back up, he was glaring. My insides shivered from the heated look in his eyes. “You will sleep in my bed. God knows if you tried to get up in the middle of the night you’d snap your foot.”

“I’m sorry, share a bed with you? I don’t know about that,” I said hesitantly. It was extremely nerve wracking to think of sleeping beside him all night.

He sighed, “Why must you be so difficult. We just shared a bath, a rather intimate bath and now you’re worried about being close to me. I should be offended Elle, you’re sending me mixed signals.”

“Are you kidding me?” I almost yelled. When he grinned, I then realised he was teasing me. “Ok, fine. I’ll sleep in your bed, if you snore I will push you out of the bed.”

“Did your ex-boyfriend snore?” he asked, a grim mutter.

I blinked. Not once, but twice. “Excuse me?” I asked quietly. “I don’t want to talk about that.”

“Why?” he asked, putting another piece of steak in his mouth. “Why are you on the run Elle?”

“I’m not on the run. I’m just travelling as I said,” I mumbled. “I don’t want to talk about it ok, can we please not talk about it?”

With a hard sigh, he nodded. “Tonight, I won’t ask but tomorrow, I may. You will tell me. How am I meant to prepare myself if some man turns up on my doorstep and claims he’s here for you?”

I swear, I could sense I hint of anger with jealousy as he said that.

“Trust me. That won’t be happening,” I said, trying to end the conversation.

Talking about Justin wasn’t on my radar. I had nothing to say about him, he made his decision and I honestly didn’t miss him as much as I thought. Guilt should be consuming my body about sleeping with another man so soon after my relationship ended, but it wasn’t.

Strangely, I didn’t feel the slightest bit guilty.

A bang on the front door, Judd shot up instantly and stalked towards it. The door opening before he had a chance to reach it. There stood a woman, around my age or a little older and blushing like a school girl in a pair of long jeans and a midriff top. She was actually quite beautiful, blonde and extremely thin with big dark brown eyes.