Chapter Fifty Two

I promise, I’ll come for you. For you both.

Judd’s words played over and over in my mind.

It was almost three in the morning and I had just arrived in the city. It was pitch black dark, and cold. I felt empty. Actually, I felt hungry but that was beside the point. I was alone, and I needed him.

He had watched me pack my bag, crying but not speaking a word to him. He watched as I walked to the ute, refusing his help to carry my suitcase and then I had given him one last look. He wasn’t saying anything. Instead, he dropped to his knees and lifted my top up. Wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing my stomach over and over again. Promising me and our child that he would come for us.

I had a splitting headache from crying the entire way here, even listening to the radio hadn’t helped one bit. Sappy loves songs making me cry harder, songs that reminded me of him. It was almost the same as when I had left Michael, only there was no cheating or hatred towards Judd. I just missed him with every breath I took.

My brothers would have a field day with this. Knocked up and alone. I could imagine the intervention that would soon happen. Simon was wondering why on earth I had called him at almost midnight. I knew he was assuming I had come to my senses and left Judd, which my little rebellion act was done and dusted with.

I tried telling him that I was only visiting for a few days, but he was already making plans to decorate room for me, I don’t think he’d want me there when he sees the large bump I’m sporting. Pregnant, and due any day with a wolf baby.

That was freaking me out the most, which I was due to give birth and Judd just fucked me off out of town. OK, so maybe it didn’t happen like that but it still stung. Everything hurt, his sneaky behaviour and the way he handled this.

Had he have come and said to me, ‘oh Elle, I kind of need you out of town while there’s a pack fight going on,’ then I may have understood a whole lot better. The fact he planned and plotted this on the one day I was most excited about really pissed me off.

I wanted a wedding, drama free and something to remember. I gave up so much for him.

He may have given things up for me too, like a wolf as his mate but he really upset me this time and maybe I am over reacting. Maybe this isn’t as bad as I’m making it out to be. I had no clue. My mind was still reeling with the fact he used our wedding day with his scheme. This was a day I’d never get again. No photos, or even a video of us marrying. I wanted to wear my dress for longer than two hours and I wanted to damn well dance and have a romantic wedding night.

I deserved that much, I deserved one night. One night to feel like the centre of his universe.

That wouldn’t happen. His pack came first, it always would and no matter what he tried to tell me, I think it really did matter that I was a human. He was just too polite to tell me differently.

Pulling over on the side of the road, I picked up my phone and wanted to send him a text. He told me not to contact him. He would call me and he hadn’t yet. Hadn’t I been stupid enough to force him to order me, then I’d have called him, over and over until he picked up.

Tossing the phone back on the spare seat, I grabbed the keys and opened the door. I had been so used to the heat, that being back in the freezing chill nights was awful. Wrapping the jacket around my body tighter, I walked across the road to a 24hr diner and entered.

Finding a seat in the back booth, I stared out at the silent street and watched as the traffic lights changed from red to green, to yellow. “I need to get a life,” I mumbled to myself.