Chapter Thirty Eight

“I can’t believe there’s a little baby growing inside your tummy! This is so exciting Elle, and even though I’m pissed you never mentioned it,” she gave me a pointed look. “I can forgive you under the circumstances, your hubby is a freaking hottie!” Maggie jumped up and down enthusiastically as we entered the small clothing store in town. 

A smile grew over my face, having my best friend come and visit me was the shock of a lifetime. I hadn’t ever expected that to happen when Judd and I walked down stairs this morning. He was growling at her as she had pulled me to her and almost crushed my bones in a death grip.

Ripping us apart he had pulled me back against him and rubbed my stomach protectively and possessively. He hated anyone else touching me. That tripled once I became pregnant and morning sickness kicked into gear.

“I know he’s gorgeous, but I wasn’t hiding him from you. I didn’t know how to tell you and I still need to tell my brothers I’m pregnant,” I wanted to sigh loudly as my fingers skimmed down the cotton button up shirt. My gaze flickered over to another rack and I went that way with Maggie behind me.

She was eager to know all there was to know about Judd, I could tell her most of it but I left out the furry tail and pointy ears growing from his body when he changed into a wolf. That was a secret. It would always be a secret I could keep. I didn’t want another attack happening to him or anyone else in this town for that matter.

I caught her watching me and I rolled my eyes with a grin, “what?”

A giggle escaped her lips. “You’re different, I mean when you were dating Justin you seemed happy but never as happy as right now. You look really in love and happy. I’m so jealous.”

Well duh, “that’s because I am.”

The morning was spent walking around the town and showing her some sights. Not that there was much to see. It was just a small run down old fashioned town, she didn’t seem to notice the strangeness I had picked up on when I first arrived. After grabbing some lunch, I got back into Judd’s ute and we headed for home.

I missed him deathly, and couldn’t wait to wrap my arms around him.

As I was nearing the final two months of my pregnancy, Judd was appearing even more delicious to me. Waking up in the middle of the night for a sleepy fuck or constantly touching him. I couldn’t keep my hands off his body. He wasn’t complaining the slightest, I was insatiable at the moment and even all the sex in the world couldn’t stop my need to have him.

As I pulled into the gravel road, my nose began to twitch. A new smell filling my senses and growing stronger as I drove closer to our home. I couldn’t see a car, or hear any voices. Just a scent, a strong scent of perfume.

Women’s perfume.

I wasn’t going to jump to conclusions, that didn’t get me far last time.

Maggie pulled me out of my thoughts with a question I hadn’t been expecting. “Have you been to the city since you left home?”

“No,” I said quietly and looked at her. “No I haven’t had a chance to go back. I don’t know if I want to either.”

“Your family is there though.”

“Just my brothers and their family. I don’t know, I’m not desperate to go back, my life is here with Judd,” I said getting out of the car. “I like it here. This is where our children will grow up.”

“Did he pressure you to get pregnant? Elle, you can tell me.” She said, placing a hand over mine.

I wanted to laugh. Was she kidding me right now? “Uh no, we were trying to get pregnant but little did I know that we were already expecting. Judd has never pressured or forced me into anything.”