Chapter Twenty

The last thing I expected was Judd to offer my brothers a cold one and then proceed to sit outside and talk about everyday life like there had been no tension between them at all. I just stayed quiet, trying to figure out if I were dreaming or not.

Maybe men weren’t like us girls, holding grudges for days, even weeks at a time until they realised the fight wasn’t that big of deal.

Lee, looked up and grinned. “Ok, well I want to know. How did you two actually meet?”

Oh shit.

Going to talk, until Judd bet me to it. “I was sitting in the bar after work one evening and in walks this woman. Wearing these ridiculously priced high heels and looking like a sheep in a cattle range. It was within five seconds I knew she was the one. I don’t pay attention to women much around here. I worked, went to the bar for a quiet drink then came home. Each day, I did the same.” He glanced over at me, I could see his eyes smiling as he recalled what else we had done that night.

Fucked like two people desperate for air.

“Then, she sat beside me and we got talking. I told myself I was going to marry her, as far as I see she’s the one for me.”

“Awe,” I said, with a blushing smile. “You’re so sweet.”

He shot me a glance, shaking his head at me. “Won’t happen often.”

Yeah, he could say that but I knew otherwise. Judd had been nothing but sweet and kind. Except for when he’s being a total arrogant ass.

“You all have children?” Judd asked, looking back towards my brothers.

Cole smiled, they were all great fathers and very proud. “We do, I’ve got three. Lee has two and Simon has four. All girls,” he chuckled.

“Shit, I’d hate to be in that house when they hit puberty,” Judd muttered, rubbing his chin. “Not going back for a boy?”

“Not me. Four’s plenty and my wife is happy with just girls. Said a boy would be too much work,” Simon laughed, “Lee’s the one who will probably go back for another.”

Two and a half hours later my brothers were still here and Judd was showing no signs of slowing down with the chitter chatter. He’d taken them down to the barn and I was a little worried back in the house. I wanted to follow, but Judd’s look had told me not to bother.

It was pure torture sitting here and waiting for the unknown. I tried to keep busy, thinking of something like decorating this house when Judd would finally agree to sit and look at what I had picked out. He was such a man, thinking up all the excuses to avoid doing anything domestic.

I heard a banging on the front door and looked up, walking from the kitchen I went to answer it. Judd’s mother stood holding a casserole dish and smiling brightly. “Dear, good I didn’t think you would be home. I can smell my son, but your scent is a little blurred to me.”