Chapter 29 ~ Normal life?

After two months of getting back into the grove of things, our lives have gone back to normal. The team is settled in for the most part. A few things are left at the tower but other then that we're all good.

~~~

I was sitting on a bar stool at the island eating lunch when Bruce comes in with a clipboard in hand.

"Hey Y/n, when you are done eating can you come to my lab? We need to run a few tests with your powers. Just to see what they are and how to control them."

"Ok that's cool. I'll be there in five." With that Bruce walked out of the kitchen. I finish up lunch and start for the lab.

On my way to Bruce's lab, I hear my dad and Bruce talking. But they obviously don't want anyone else to hear it. It sounds really important so I'm just gonna go.... I HEARD MY NAME I'M BACK. What? Something wrong with me and my powers? I'm sorry Bruce but that is not correct. Okay, I'm over this conversation. I walk back and start walking towards the lab with heavier steps to make my presence known. Why?! Because I can. 

I pass right through their fake conversation about Clint going back to his family soon. "Hey dad. Bruce I'm ready for the tests now. I'll be in the lab." 

"Okay I'll be in soon just need to finish up here." He motions to dad and I nod my head. 

Once I enter the lab I walk over to one of the computer screens. Considering they're not actually screens but much rather holograms floating in the air makes it a lot easier. Ah, a check list. Isn't that cute. It says that first I will be testing little things like concentration. Then, we move to advanced combat. Sounds fancy. I hope it is like the Hunger Games training. After lowkey boot camp I go outside to the fields and practice with my real powers. To top off this perfect testing day I will go in for a psychological test. Well Bruce, we can skip that because I am plenty stable when it's just me and my thoughts. Anyway, I'm getting impatient. 

~~~

"Okay Y/n, this test is really simple. Just keep nice and calm while we do this okay? Just try and find your center of calm. " Bruce comes over to me and places a blood pressure cuff on my left bicep. 

"Easy enough. Will I cry? If so I might just walk out those pretty little doors over to my right." After I say this I see Bruce kind of squirm around. It is sad yet kind of funny at the same time. 

"N-no I don't think this will make you edgy. But again I-I uh don't know what is going through your head." 

"It's okay. Let's just get on with the tests, yes?" 

"Okay but I'm gonna warn you right now. I don't want you getting anxiety or PTSD after this."

"Bruce it's okay.. I already have anxiety. So, at least you don't have to worry about that." He slightly shakes his head and walks behind a window in a semi different room. The intercom system is connected to each room. I am sitting a what looks like a desk from school but it kind of locks you in. Terrifying? A little not gonna lie. In the top right corner of the 'desk' are a pair of headphones. Underneath the headphones is a stress ball. This stress ball can tell how stressed you truly are by the many science related systems I cannot see. Basically, it tells by the sweat on your palm. Then, on the left corner there is a button. Under the button it says 'I'm out' in my dad's handwriting. Very nice wording father. The sound of Bruce's voice echoes through the room breaking me from my lovely thoughts. 

"Okay put on the headphones now. Then, either look at the wall or close your eyes. After, pick the stress ball." I follow my direction and close my eyes.

"Okay easy enough. Bye Bruce."

"Good luck Y/n."

Within seconds the track starts to play. Oh jeez is all I can say. The sounds of buildings falling, cars crashing, people screaming, shots being fired. All I can picture are families being separated and innocent people getting hurt. The grip on the stress ball gets a little bit tighter. I hope that this test is over soon. As soon as I feel myself get anxious, I remembered to find my zen. I think about my family and wonderful boyfriend and that calms me down. Then, as if the tape knows my weakness, my families voices sound through the headphones. The distant voices of everyone important to me ring through. I remember what this conversation is! It was when we were in Sokovia. The whole conversation that I am hearing is playing like a movie plaguing my thoughts. It totally jacks up my zen mode. I was about to go back for that little boy but Clint cut in front of me. In slow motion I see the scene play out. The rain of bullets hurling towards the ground makes a knot form in my stomach knowing what is about to happen. I see the body of a silver and brown haired cutie I have the pleasure of calling my boyfriend hit the floor. Tears slide through my closed eyelids as I try and stay strong. My fathers agenizing scream rings through the speakers near my ears and the tears start to get more frequent. Once again I try and zen myself knowing that I am happy now and everyone is fine and in good health. My breathing starts to slow and I start to relax. Almost as a prayer, the track stops playing and I open my eyes. A deep sigh from very deep within gets let out like it had been imprisoned in the 1800's. I immediately took off the headphones. 

Bruce walks into the room at an alarming pace. "Are you okay?" He has fear written across his face.

"Yeah yeah totally. Defiantly fine. What's next? Let's just keep moving on with the tests."

~~~

Down in the training room I stand with Bruce who is giving me the run down for the combat portion of my day. 

"So, these hologram people will run at you and you need to fight them without your powers."

"YES! Just like the Hunger Games!" Bruce gives me a confused look. 

"Sure... lets go with that." Once again he leaves the room and starts up the holograms. Now not to brag or anything but I have been training with Natasha so I know what I am doing. 

I start fighting each hologram with ease and eventually I am done. 

~~~

" Trial three. You're almost done I promise."

"What do normal people do around this time on a Saturday? They sure don't do this that is a fact."

"Well Y/n, this is our normal. Now, stop complaining and we will get done faster."

"Ouch Banner, I'm over it too but jeez." He looks over at me with a sad look. "I'm just kidding you're fine." I flash a smile and chuckle and he is able to breath again. 

"Just show me what you can do."

"Sure. I did this with Lila at Clint's house." At first I made a bunch of flowers grow around me. After that, I gathered water thanks to clouds in the sky. I made it lightly rain on us. Then, I used the wind and dried us off in seconds. Bruce looked back up at me as to continue. But when he does that he shivers. 

"Cold?" He nods slightly and I send heat towards him. I'm being careful not to burn him as I do so.

"Thanks." 

"No problem. One question. Can I be done? I'm getting tired and it's almost eight o'clock." After a minuet of contemplation, Bruce decided to be an angel and send me to bed. 

~~~

As soon as I make it to my door I open it to see Pietro sitting in bed watching a movie. What better way to loose focus then having your girlfriend walk in front of the TV you are watching a movie on! So that is exactly what I do. Except now he has gotten smart. Yes, this may be an reoccurring thing once in a while. I'm not proud. He pauses the movie as soon as I open the door and he meets my gaze with a bright and welcoming smile that makes my heart melt. I give a slight smile and lazily drag my way over to the bed and plop down on my stomach. My face going straight into the covers. I feel a hand rubbing small comforting circles on my back. 

"Tough day?" Without moving my head up from the covers I say, "You could say that again."

"Aw I'm sorry. Go take a shower and come to bed and relax." He suggests to me and nudges me to get up. I sit up and look him in the eyes. 

"Do you ever wish you had a normal life again? Like before all of this HYDRA and Avengers stuff?" 

"If all of that never happened I would have never found you. I cannot think of my life without you. And if that's normal I don't want to be normal anymore." At this very moment I have never wanted to cry more. I threw myself at him and tightly wrapped my arms around his neck. 

"I love you so much Y/n."

"I love you more Pietro Maximoff! You are my normal life and I couldn't wish for anything else."