Chapter 2 ~ At Stark Tower

The bags under the eyes of the famous Tony Stark were dark. He has been sleeping on and off for ten years. He was working in his lab. One screen was data on any other possible HYDRA bases and the other one has different ways to improve his suit. He walked into the kitchen to get a glass of water. Every step was filled with tiredness and depression. He makes his way over to the cupboard and grabs a cup. As he grabbed a cup three more fell down. Two shattered and one was caught by Tony's fast reflexes.

"Shit!" He put the saved glass back in the cupboard and goes to get a broom to clean up the broken glass.

" Hey Tony, you okay?" An obviously exhausted Steve walks into the kitchen rubbing his eyes.

" Yeah yeah totally fine. I am just trying to hydrate and now I am having a conversation with you. So, please let me get my water and head back to my lab I have work to do. So of you will exc-"

" Tony stop."

" Stop what? I'm getting water."

"Stop pretending you are okay."

"What would make you think I am not okay? I don't think you heard me when I said that I am working on my suit. Gosh Rogers can't you listen for once?"

" TONY STOP. Just stop. You have been on edge all day. You can fool the others but you can't fool me." Taking a step closer to Tony.

Tony looks at the clock and tears form in his eyes. He tried to make that go unnoticed but Steve can see the pain he has been in for the last ten years. Finally, connecting the dots the blonde steps back and exhaled deeply. Remembering what had happened on this day, ten years ago.

"Fine you want to know? Oh I'll let you know. Do you even know what I went through for the last ten years? No, you wouldn't. You don't know what I feel every single day. My daughter was taken away from me at the age of four. Four. And I could not even save her. And you will never know how that feels. She was all I had left. And now, now she is gone. All because of me. I have tried my hardest to find her for ten years, that is a decade that I have missed with my daughter. I've missed birthdays and just days in general. She was my world. Then at 3:15 am, my world was destroyed. You can't fathom how that feels. And now you ask me why I am pretending to be okay? Oh, I wonder why. So Rogers, A. Get off my case, and B. Do not bring this up again. Understand?" He then storms off to his lab with a glass of water. Leaving Rodgers standing in the kitchen.

When Tony got back to his lab he broke down crying. He picked up the picture of him and his daughter Y/n on her fourth birthday. Although he was crying at the sad moment, when he looked at the picture of the two of them he could not help but to smile. Knowing that at that moment he and his daughter were truly happy.

~~~~~~~~~ Time skip ~~~~~~~~~~

Later in the day Tony finally emerges from his lab to get coffee. He walks into the kitchen and was greeted by the other Avengers.

"Hey, look who it is! Good to see you buddy. Get sick of looking at the same hunk of junk yet?" Clint said as he smacked Tony's arm as he walked past him.

"Yeah, I needed some fresh air."

"You need some concealer too, those bags are really showing these days. "

"You know what Romanoff? I don't need concealer. I need about ten years worth of sleep that I have missed." Tony snapped. The people in the kitchen looked at him shocked. He walks back to his lab and continues on with his research about HYDRA bases around the world.

"Hey J,"

"Yes Mr. Stark"

"Can you play the video of Y/n on her fourth birthday?"