13/ You Were Mine

"Alice, have you finished up that article?" Hal asks from his desk.

"Yeah, I'll send it right over."

"Perfect. Once I have that I'm done for the day." He leans back in his chair with a content sigh.

"You seem excited to leave, got some fun plans?"

"Just going to watch the game with Mike and Dave, nothing too fun." He informs her.

"Thought maybe you had a date."

"Nope, no date. I haven't seen anyone since the divorce." He must notice how her cheeks blush because he questions her. "Have you been seeing someone?"

"What? No, I've just been working and spending time with Betty." She insists, not fooling him.

"Mhm, is that why your cheeks are the colour of a tomato?"

She narrows her eyes at him. "I may have seen someone but it was nothing serious, just a fling."

"Just a fling? That doesn't sound like you."

"Of course it doesn't sound like me, you were my first everything. Not a lot of chances to have a fling when I'm in a committed relationship."

"Did you know the guy or just meet him randomly?"

"Random. Might've been a little intoxicated." She answers nonchalantly. "Why the sudden interest in my sex life?"

"I miss you, Alice. I thought maybe you hadn't moved on yet because you felt the same."

She frowns. "Hal we talked about this, we weren't happy-"

"But we could be now. We could start over."

"I already am starting over, I'm a forty-three year old divorcée, I'm making up for the lost time."

"Was our marriage just a waste to you then?"

Her mouth gapes open at the accusation. "What? No, of course not."

"Well you said you're making up for lost time, was our marriage just holding you back?"

"No, Hal, no. Our marriage," she pauses and corrects herself. "Our relationship, was wonderful. Really, it was. You were my first and only love, you were with me through so much of my life, I'm so happy we had what we had. It wasn't a waste, Hal. I just mean I'm experimenting with things I've never done before, I'm turning over a new leaf. You should do the same."

"So it's really over then? No chance at all for us to get back together?" He questions, his eyes hopeful.

She shakes her head slowly. "I'm sorry, Hal. I do love you, but not in the way you want me to. And you can't honestly tell me that you want things to go back to the way they were, we weren't a couple anymore, we were friends. You hadn't held my hand, kissed me, or touched me in months."

"I'm sorry, I didn't even realize it had been that long." She shrugs. "I hope you don't think it was because I found you unattractive or anything, believe me that was never it. You're the most beautiful person I've ever met." She smiles at him. "I guess we just fell out of love with each other."

"It happens. But the important thing is that we're still friends, I don't want that to ever change, you're the best co-worker I've ever had."

He laughs. "Back atcha."

"I sent you the article by the way, you're good to go."

"Perfect. I'll finish up the layout tomorrow and send it off to the printer." He slips on his shoes and jacket and opens the door. "See you tomorrow, Alice."

_____

The last person she expects to see walk into the Register is FP, but there he is, walking up the steps. She waves him in and he walks inside, she greets him with a smile. "Well this is a nice surprise, what are you doing here?"

"Was driving by and noticed you're the only here, figured I was safe to drop in."

"Hal left about twenty minutes ago, you've got good timing." She gestures to Hal's chair. "You can sit if you want to."

He walks over to the chair and drags it close to hers, resting his hand on her thigh when he sits down. "I was going to call you tonight but when I saw no one was here I figured I'd ask you now."

"Ask me what?"

"There's a party at the Wyrm on Saturday, I was wondering if you wanted to come with me. You seemed to enjoy yourself the first time, plus we have a good memory there, thought we could make a few more."

She smiles at him and places her hand over his, giving it a squeeze. "That sounds like fun, I'll be there."

"Want me to pick you up?"

"No, it's okay, I'll just meet you there."

"I don't mind."

"No, really, it's alright. There's no point in coming all the way over to the Northside to come get me just to go back to the Southside. Besides, I want to make sure I look good, would hate to keep you waiting."

"You always look good." He captures her lips in a hungry kiss. "If anything changes and you want me to pick you up, just let me know."

"Will do. What time does the party start?"

"Eight. I'll probably show up around that time, parties at the Wyrm fill up really quick so it won't be any awkward waiting around for people to show."

"Ok, I'll text you when I'm on my way."

"Deal." He kisses her again and she smiles against his lips, all too excited to get to spend a night out in public with him.