10/ From The Dining Table

"Mom!" Betty calls and Alice can hear her footsteps thundering down the stairs. "Mom?"

Alice walks over to the staircase to see what the commotion is all about and runs right into Betty. "Woah, careful. What are you running for?"

"They're on their way!"

Alice chuckles. "So? We know they're coming, it's not like it's a surprise."

"I'm just nervous, I mean, should I be nervous? Is there any reason for me to be nervous?"

"No. You look beautiful, dinner will be ready in twenty minutes, everything is going to be just fine." Alice promises, pressing a kiss to Betty's forehead.

"Why aren't you nervous?"

Alice raises an eyebrow at her and laughs. "It's not my boyfriend, why would I be nervous?"

"I don't know, I'm just stressed. What if you don't like him?"

"You're a smart girl, Elizabeth. I'm sure whoever you've chosen to be with is completely worthy of my approval. Not that my approval matters, your sister's relationship with the Blossom boy is proof of that." Alice sighs bitterly. "As long as you're happy, and he treats you right."

"He does. He treats me like a princess." Betty gushes.

Alice smiles at her. "That's good. You seem to be really falling for this boy."

"I am, I don't want to get ahead of myself though, I just want to take things slow."

"Taking things slow is a good thing," Alice agrees. "The last thing I need is to be a grandma at forty-two."

"Believe me, I'm not having any babies yet. Not for a long time."

"Good."

Betty's phone lights up with a text. "Oh my God, they're on our road. They're going to be here any minute!"

"Perfect timing, dinner's almost ready."

Betty waits anxiously for the arrival of their guests and when the doorbell rings, she looks so panicked Alice briefly wonders if she'll pass out. "There's nothing to worry about, sweetheart." Alice assures her. "Let's go answer the door." 

Betty nods and Alice follows her over to the front door. "Hi Jug!" Betty cheerily greets.

Alice looks at the teenager, noticing something oddly familiar about the boy, she can't put her finger on it though. "Hey Betty." He presses a kiss to Betty's cheek.

Betty turns to look at Alice. "Mom, this is Jughead. Jug, this is my mom."

Alice smiles and shakes the boy's hand. "Nice to meet you, I'm Alice."

"Nice to meet you too, thanks for inviting us over."

"Of course, we're happy to have you."

"Oh and this is my dad," he looks behind him and Alice sees a man walking up the front steps behind him. "What took you so long?"

"You forgot the pie."

Alice is floored. She has to clench her jaw to keep it from falling open. There, on her front step, is none other than FP Jones. She meets his eyes when he looks up, and they instantly go wide at the sight of her.