38/ Girl's Night

Betty watches with a grin as Richard Gere climbs up a fire escape on the TV. "Now that's just so dang cute, look at them!"

Alice laughs a little as she looks towards the TV, watching as he and Julia Roberts come together in a kiss. "It is cute," Alice agrees, turning her attention back to painting Betty's toes. "If only all men could be like that."

"You don't think there are men out there like that?"

Alice thinks on it for a moment. Hal was romantic but it always very typical; roses and chocolate on Valentine's Day, breakfast in bed on her birthday, which she can genuinely say she loved. But she always craved a little more.

Hal was never one for PDA, he would hardly ever hold her hand when they were in public. She knew it wasn't because he was ashamed of her but just because of how he was raised but she still couldn't shake the desire to have someone's hand to hold as they did mundane tasks like grocery shopping.

She likes to think FP would be the opposite, from the few times they've gone out in public together he's made it abundantly clear that he's there with her. He'll kiss her and touch her and whisper things to her that make her blush. He's spontaneous and she loves that about him.

"I think there is," Alice decides. "I just think they're rare."

Betty nods. "I think Juggie is one of the rare ones."

Alice smiles. Polly was never so open and honest with her, she likes that Betty feels comfortable enough to talk to her about her life. "You do?"

She nods again, a grin coming upon her face. "He's so sweet, caring and thoughtful. When I opened my locker the other day there was a flower in it and a note from him. He walks me to class, insists on carrying my books, gives me his jacket when it's cold, even if I have my own. He's just perfect."

"Sounds like you're really falling for this boy."

Betty nods shyly and cuddles with her hands as her cheeks turn pink. "I love him." Betty admits. "And he loves me." She sighs. "Is that stupid?"

Alice takes her hand and gives it a reassuring squeeze. "It's not stupid, baby."

"It's not?"

Alice shakes her head. "I'm glad you found someone who makes you so happy."

Betty raises an eyebrow at her. "Why do I feel like there's a "but" coming?"

"There's no "but"." Alice assures her. "Yes you're young but you're a smart girl, you know what you want and I can see the way Jughead looks at you, he's head over heels for you."

Betty gives her a smile. "Thanks mom."

They sit in silence for a few minutes as Alice finishes painting Betty's toes. Betty's flipping through the movie choices when Alice speaks again. "Okay, maybe there is something."

Betty sighs. "I knew it."

"It's not bad!" Alice assures her. "Just... are you being safe?"

"Mom!" Betty whines.

"It's a question, Betty. An important question, do you know all of the risks of not being safe?"

"Yes, mom. I took sex ed and you had this talk with Polly and I already." Betty rolls her eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes, Betty, I just want to make sure you're being careful."

"We haven't had..." Betty pauses as she chooses her words. "We haven't done that."

"You haven't?" Betty shakes her head. "Oh thank God."

Betty looks down nervously. "I mean, we haven't yet, but we will eventually." Alice holds back her sigh, she would much prefer if it didn't happen ever, but she knows that's unlikely. "We love each other, so when the time is right we will, and we'll be safe."

"As long as your safe about it and sure about it, you don't want to regret it."

"I won't, not with Juggie. And he would never pressure me either." Alice smiles softly at her. "Did you regret it?"

Alice shakes her head and smiles a little. "Not at all. I ended up marrying him. Even though things didn't work out in the end I'm glad it was with him." Alice says. "And we were safe every time. Like you and Jughead should be."

Betty rolls her eyes. "Yes mom, I know. You've said so a million times now." She smiles devilishly. "Are you being safe, mom?"

The question catches her off guard. "Betty!"

"What? I don't want any babies waddling around here, I like being the youngest."

"That is none of your business. But believe me, I'm with you on the baby thing, I don't think I could go through teething again, you and Polly were monsters."

"Good." Betty says. "Are you dating anyone?"

"Elizabeth-" Alice starts to say but Betty cuts her off.

"I just don't want to go off to college next year and leave you all alone."

"Maybe I'll get a dog."

Betty laughs. "Yeah right. Me and Polly always asked for a dog but you and dad said no."

"Well maybe I'll get one just to drive you two nuts."

Betty sticks her tongue out at her and Alice rolls her eyes jokingly. "I don't know why you're so obsessed with my love life anyhow."

"I'm not obsessed, I just want you to be happy." Betty tells her.

Alice smiles softly. "I am happy, Betty. I'm happier than I've been in a long time."