sixteen

"Ok look Scott, as much as I would love to hear about how much of a hoe she is, we have studying to do," Frank made her way to the couch and sat down hitting the place next to her so that Scott could sit. I moved to the bean bag chair to givs them some room.

Few seconds later Frank's mom came bursting in. "Sorry honey, can't talk in a rush. Your father is forcing me to go to his stupid fundraiser," she said as she rushed in and out of her room.

"Forcing you? And is it really a Fundraiser or is it a Fun-Rasier," Frankie said which instantly made me laugh.

"What?" Scott said, confused. He didn't understand.

"Oh haha, a Fundraiser and I'm already late thanks to your stupidity," she kissed Frankie on the head before saying her final words. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do with these boys. Wink wink," with that, she was gone. Frankie's disgusted face wasn't though

"What did you and your mom mean and why was it so funny?" Scott asked.

"Because her and my father are divorced but are constantly having sex still. When she says she going someplace to and with my father, most times it's sex related," she explained.

"Oh." Scott seemed to tense up a little yet his face displayed a very sad emotion.

"What's wrong Scott," Frankie asked. She looked worried but not too worried.

"Nothing. It's just, at least your mother tells you where she goes and you guys have a connection. My mom couldn't care less," he started chuckling a little with that last part.

"Oh well I'm sorry man. What about your dad?" Frankie was too nice of a person. She couldn't stand seeing people upset even though that people is Scott.

"Oh, I don't know. He's there but constantly working and never has time for me," he shrugged.

"Oh." Was all Frankie said. As much as I hate to admit it, I felt bad for Scott. He genuinely looked sad. I could definitely relate on the fathers end.

"Look man," I got up and placed my hand on his shoulder, "if it makes you feel any better, my dad isn't here. He left my mother when she got pregnant with me and my sister. He told her 'I don't want a black bitches baby' and left her, alone. I never met him after that. I just know he's a dangerous white man with crazy anger and drug issue," all at once.

"Oh. Mickey Mouse, why didn't you tell me all of this," Frankie came and sat next to me. She wrapped her arms around my body and snuggled me into her arms.

"It, it's just a sensitive topic you know. I didn't want to bore you with my stupid past. It's not like it matter's anyways. He wasn't there during my time, none of them so, why bring it?" I just shrugged it off hoping she'd say nothing else after.

"Oh, well, sorry. Have you ever tried to contact him?" Her soft voice was so soothing.

"Yeah we did when my mother couldn't afford the treatment," I said, totally forgetting Scott was there.

"Oh shit! You had cancer?" Just when I thought Scott was an idiot..."I'm sorry bro, I didn't know." He placed his arm on my shoulder.

"Yeah but, it wasn't that big of a deal," I wave my hand.

"Wasn't that big of a deal! You could have died!" She yelled.

"Yeah but..nevermind," I got up from the couch and stormed out. I didn't want to talk about it. Especially with Scott there.

Truth is, I didn't want the treatment. I didn't have much to live for plus my mother was financially struggling at the time. She had got fired. She was a teacher and other schools wouldn't hire her. She was framed for something she didn't do and the FBI are currently involved. She works for Frankie's mom until she can get back to the teaching gig.

But, my mother was struggling financially. If I would have died maybe it would have helped my mom and my sister. Since they had to afford things mainly for me.

My mother got this huge anonymous check the week I got the treatment. I was hospitalized for 100 days and had to take things slow. I was able to continue my senior year a month and half after I got home from the hospital. I was being tutored while in the hospital so I was pretty caught up with school work.

Even though my mother was happy I wasn't going to die and all, I still felt like at the time I was taking something big from her. She could have used that check for something better than me.

Today, I am grateful for what she did. I got to experience my first times and all, meet Jackie. Meet Frankie. I will never ever forget what my mom done and will give literally my life.

As for my sister, she is a whole different story...