Chapter 5

It had been a few days since the gathering and Mosspaw was getting used to SnowClan. He actually seemed to enjoy it. Though at times he missed Snakekit and Ginger. It seemed like no one understood.

            He stood in the camp, sharing a squirrel with Fernpaw. The sun was slowly setting beyond the horizon and it had already started to get dark out.

            Fernpaw pricked her ears.

            "What?" Mosspaw asked, slowly chewing his squirrel.

            "I thought I heard--" She was cut off as another yowl sounded.

            "MY KITS ARE COMING! HELP ME!" Wavestorm hissed from the nursery.

            Mosspaw got up and was about to follow the crowd when he noticed Fernpaw had not gotten up.

            "Aren't you coming to see the new kits?" he asked.

            "No," Fernpaw replied. "I've seen enough kit births. Go though. I'm sure there'll be some drama."

            Mosspaw nodded and went off with the crowd. Smokestar was already inside the den and Featherwing, Snowtail's sister and Wavestorm's daughter, sat outside the den. Mosspaw looked around for Waterdrop but saw no sight of her.

            "A TOM!" Spottedmask yowled.

            "Congrats!" Featherwing mewed.

            "Is that all?" Lilywhisker asked.

            Featherwing ignored the she-cat and continued watching.

            "ANOTHER TOM!" Spottedmask yowled. "THAT'S ALL!"

            Mosspaw did the usual and waited for everyone to see. As Lilywhisker walked in, he swore he heard her murmur, "I wish these were my kits."

            Mosspaw felt sympathy for the she-cat who's heart had been broken. He put a tail on her shoulder which cause her to zip around.

            "I'm so sorry," Mosspaw said.

            "Don't be," Lilywhisker snapped, walking into the nursery.

            Mosspaw followed behind her and smiled at the two toms who laid by Wavestorm. One was a jet black with white paws and a white muzzle. The other was a gray tom whose chest was a creamy white.

            "What are their names?" Lilywhisker asked.

            "The black one is Crowkit. The gray one is Rockkit."

            With nothing else to say, Lilywhisker exited.

            "They're beautiful kits," Mosspaw said.

            "Thank you," Wavestorm smiled. This seemed to be more of a natural smile, not the ones that Mosspaw had seen that looked as if they were fake and she was just hiding the pain.

            Mosspaw gave a good-bye to Reedkit and his siblings who would be apprentices in a few days and checked up on Fuzzykit and Marshmallowkit. The two white-furred siblings were much now active and were adorable as well.

            As Mosspaw exited, he saw Ashclaw and Cindertail looking at him again. Turning away quickly, he padded back over to Fernpaw.

            "Why are Ashclaw and Cindertail always looking at me?" Mosspaw asked.

            "Dunno. Maybe your half-siblings want to talk to you or something," Fernpaw spoke.