Chapter 20

Mosspaw awoke to see the sun slowly rising over the clans. He had to admit, these hills had such a great view of his home. He could almost see SnowClan's camp!

            Excitement filled him, though nerves did too. What if Fernpaw had changed? What if everyone had changed?

            Mosspaw did not let this get the best of him though, so he padded down the hill with confidence. He wondered if NightClan was behaving itself, and what about FoxClan? How were they?

            The hills were beginning to disappear behind him as he trudged through the forest. Mosspaw tried to blend him, knowing some cats would be on morning patrol, though his white pelt stood out like a mouse in the middle of leaf-bare.

            Mosspaw knew he was by the FoxClan border now, and he knew the SnowClan border was so close.

            As he continued to walk, he swore he heard a noise, but he saw no cat. He continued on, smelling the familiar SnowClan scent. He had missed SnowClan so much. Now he placed a paw over the border and smiled. He was here. He was home.

            Within a few seconds of crossing the border, Mosspaw noticed a patrol come by. He tried to duck, but there were no trees or plants nearby he could run to. They had already spotted him.

            "Over there!" a white and golden she-cat yelled.

            Mosspaw knew he could not hide, and he remained still until the patrol came into view. Mosspaw gasped, realizing the golden and white she-cat was Sunpaw, though she most likely had a warrior name by now.

            Sunpaw stopped, at first gazing at Mosspaw in amazement, but then uncertainty. "Who are you?" she growled.

            "Relax, Sunpaw. It's me, Mosspaw," Mosspaw told her.

            "It's Sunflash now," she hissed. "And how is that possible? You were thought to be dead! We couldn't track you any farther than the FoxClan border."

            "Well, I'm here now, aren't I?" Mosspaw said.

            Sunflash eyed him with suspicion, and she turned towards the others. "Are you sure this is the real Mosspaw?"

            "Of course he is!"

            Mosspaw recognized Reedpaw among the others, a smile lit on his face. "I'm glad you came back, Mosspaw."

            "Yes, where exactly have you been?" Sunflash asked.

            "If you take me to camp, I'll explain," Mosspaw said.

            Sunflash eyed him once again, but she did not refuse. Mosspaw walked with the others deep into the territory towards the SnowClan camp. This reminded Mosspaw of when he had arrived as a kit. He had been scared then, but now, he was confident.

            Arriving into camp, the news had come that Mosspaw had arrived back. Before Mosspaw could even have a chance to find Fernpaw and speak to her, he was pushed away to Smokestar's den.

            "Mosspaw," Smokestar said, welcoming the tom in. "You've sure grown since the last time I saw you."

            Mosspaw hadn't really realized how much he'd grown. He was the age of a warrior by now. Maybe Smokestar would even make him one.

            "I guess so," Mosspaw said.

            "Where have you been the last six moons?" Smokestar asked.