Chapter 19

Mosspaw had been traveling for nearly a moon, trying to somewhat remember the path he had taken back to SnowClan when he had been just a small kit. He had tried to recognize the scents, the forest, but it seemed he would be journeying longer than he had expected.

            StarClan would give him a sign every once in awhile, though he would have to look for himself most of the time.
            Today, however, Mosspaw awoke with confidence. He seemed to recognize the scents and the forest, and he knew he would be arriving back home soon.
            He wondered what the reaction of his clan would be. Would they be angry, relieved? He hoped Fernpaw wasn't angry at him. He had made this journey for her, after all.
            Fernpaw. Mosspaw missed her as he traveled every day. He just wanted to get home to her and tell her how much he loved her, though it seemed to take longer every day, and he wondered if she had a mate and kits now. Mosspaw hoped not.
            Mosspaw padded through the forest in the early morning. Autumn leaves fell slowly, the colors on the trees a bright red and orange. He barely remembered the last autumn, for he had just been a small kit back then, trapped in Tooth's lair.
            So much had changed since then, and Mosspaw felt the leaves swirl around him. He vaguely remembered playing with these leaves with Tooth's son. What was his name again? Mosspaw was not sure.
            Spotting a mouse nearby, Mosspaw pounced, catching it in his grip. He killed it quickly and ate it. He needed a full stomach if he were to attempt to get to SnowClan today.
            Mosspaw noticed the hills ahead, and he smiled. He now knew where he was. He had crossed these hills with Ginger and Gloria six moons ago. Now, he would be crossing these hills alone.
            Mosspaw walked a little faster now, hoping to get closer to SnowClan, though he knew he would probably have to spend the night on those hills before returning in the morning. He didn't know if he would have the strength to make it by night.
            More leaves fell, and Mosspaw smiled as they did. A bright sun hung up ahead, providing some warmth to Mosspaw. He knew once leaf-fall ended, the cold leaf-bare would come once again, though this time, Mosspaw would be safe in SnowClan and not the mountains.
            Mosspaw raced through the forest now, the leaves swirling past him. He stopped, out of breath. He knew he couldn't make it to SnowClan by night, and he sighed, sitting down in the ground.
            Catching his breath, he slowly drew in the dirt, sighing. He had to make it to SnowClan though by tomorrow. That was his promise.
            Now ready to move again, he stood up beginning to walk towards SnowClan.

Throughout the day, Mosspaw had at times ran, walked, and stopped to eat or get a drink of water. He had tried to keep a fast pace, hoping to make it to SnowClan, but now the sun was beginning to fall, and he slowly trudged up the hill that separated him from his home.
            The grass was dry from the hot summer, and it tickled Mosspaw's feet as he walked past it. Only a few trees sat on these hills, and he breathed heavily, knowing he was almost to the top. He walked quickly, the sun descending faster with each second.
            Suddenly, Mosspaw got a burst of energy, and he ran, making it to the top of the hill. The sun finally descended now, and the sky was dark. Stars began to shine now, and Mosspaw sighed, knowing he would make it to SnowClan first thing in the morning.
            Tired now, Mosspaw curled up next to a large rock and closed his eyes, dreaming of the next day that would change his life.