Chapter 8

It had been a week since the moonlight walk in the woods, an event Mosspaw would remember as one of the happiest moments ever.

            Green-leaf had fully arrived in SnowClan, and Mosspaw was glad. Now the clan had copious amounts of prey and water, plus, queens would be expecting kits soon.

            Fernpaw had tried to hang out with Mosspaw as best as she could, and Mosspaw appreciated that. He too was busy with training, and though they hung out less and less, it didn't bother him.

            Mosspaw padded towards Smokestar, wondering what they would learn in training that day.

            "Mosspaw, you've trained long and hard these past few sunrises," Smokestar spoke. "Why don't you take the day off?"

            "Are you sure?" Mosspaw asked. "I can train!"

            "But I can't," Smokestar laughed. "Go on. We'll continue training tomorrow."

            Mosspaw felt weird about taking a day off, but he didn't argue. He was hoping to catch Fernpaw before she left with Waterdrop.

            Mosspaw spotted the speckled she-cat right by her mentor, and he quickly zoomed off to catch her.

            "Hi, Fernpaw!"

            Fernpaw turned. "Oh, hey, Mosspaw! I'm sorry, I can't hang out today. My warrior ceremony is getting closer each day. Waterdrop and I have to practice. My evaluation will be soon."

            "Oh, I know," Mosspaw said. Dissapointed, he shuffled his paws. "Well, maybe I'll catch you later."

            Fernpaw nodded. "Bye, Mosspaw!"

            Mosspaw padded off, wondering what he would do. Most of the apprentices were training, and the warriors were busy too.

            "The nursery!" he decided.

            Mosspaw padded into the nursery and smiled at the kits that played and tussled with each other.

            "Hello, Mosspaw," Wavestorm said, welcoming him into the nursery.

            "Smokestar gave me the day off. Is it alright if I play with the kits?" he asked.

            "Sure," Snowtail said. "Fuzzykit, Marshmallowkit, you've got a playmate."

            The two white kittens gazed up at Mosspaw. "You're big," Marshmallowkit squeaked.

            Mosspaw laughed. "Where's Crowkit and Rockkit?"

            "Here we are!" Crowkit squeaked, peaking out from Wavestorm. Rockkit hid behind Wavestorm as well, but he soon peaked out as well.

            "Wow, Marshmallowkit. You're the only she-kitten in the nursery," Mosspaw realized.

            "It's really annoying," the white she-cat complained. "But Applewhisker's kits will be born soon. Maybe I'll have a playmate."

            "You don't like us?" Rockkit asked.

            "No, I do!"

            As Rockkit and Marshmallowkit began to argue, Mosspaw turned towards Fuzzykit and Crowkit. "What do you guys want to play?"

            "You can be a NightClan cat!" Fuzzykit suggested. "And we're brave SnowClan warriors."

            "Okay," Mosspaw spoke. With his best deep voice, he began to stomp around. "Grrr! I'm Cloudstar, leader of NightClan! I'm coming to eat you!"

            "No you won't! For I'm Fuzzystar of SnowClan!"

            "And I'm Crowpelt! Deputy!" Crowkit hissed.

            The two toms leapt onto Mosspaw, and Mosspaw dramatically fell down. "Oh, you've got me!"

            "We did it!" Fuzzykit screeched.

            "Take that, stupid NightClan cat!" Crowkit hissed.

            Mosspaw laughed and got up. He was about to ask to play again when Smokestar began to yowl.

            "Must be a meeting," he said.

            Mosspaw left the nursery and padded outside to see Cindertail and Yarrowwhisker standing on the large rock with Smokestar.

            Mosspaw was confused. Why were they standing there?

            "Cats of SnowClan," Smokestar began. "I bring joyous news to all of you. Cindertail is expecting Yarrowwhisker's kits."

            Cats cheered at the news of new warriors. Mosspaw stood though, not terribly happy. Cindertail and Ashclaw hated him, and now that Cindertail was expecting kits, Mosspaw couldn't hang out in the nursery anymore. Not with her around.

            As Cindertail padded down, many cats congratulated her, including Ashclaw, her brother. Mosspaw let out a low growl, then padded back away into the apprentice den.

            The only cat who was in there was Littlepaw, and she didn't move or make a sound when Mosspaw entered.

            "Hi," Mosspaw said.

            Littlepaw's eyes got wide. "Oh, oh, hi. S-sorry. Is this your nest?"

            "No, that's not my nest."

            "I'll move anyway," she said quietly.

            "No, it's fine. Why are you in here anyway?"

            "Cindertail told me I should not train for a few sunrises. I sh-should relax. But she-she's expecting kits now, s-so I'll probably never train with her," she mumbled.

            "Why?"

            "T-training hasn't been g-going well for me."

            "Why not?"

            "Because I'm so small," she whimpered. "I'm not the best hunter, or fighter, or gatherer of moss. I'm terrible!"

            "I'm sure you can find something," Mosspaw reassured her.

            "I hate being the runt of the litter," she whispered. "Everyone expects that I can't do stuff, but I can! No one will even try to help me with my training."

            "If you need help, I can teach you," Mosspaw offered.

            "Oh, no, no. It's fine."

            "Are you sure?"

            "Yes, I'll figure it out on my own." The little black she-cat then scampered out of the den quickly, leaving Mosspaw alone.

            "Well that was weird," he muttered to himself.

            Mosspaw napped for the remainder of the day, only stepping outside of the den when Fernpaw returned from her training session.

            "Hey, Fernpaw! I've been waiting all day to—"

            "Sorry, I'm too tired. Maybe tomorrow, Mosspaw."

            Mosspaw was hurt. With a sigh, he padded back to the apprentice den, not even getting a piece of prey to eat. He then closed his eyes, and tried to fall asleep.