Chapter 23

A few days had passed since the storm, and Mossheart still wasn't exactly sure what he had seen that night. Fernbranch had been acting odd lately, probably scared for Mossheart after he went out into the storm, not that it mattered though. She still loved him.

            Mossheart awoke early, only to be assigned on morning patrol. Fernbranch was not put on the patrol with him, something that rarely happened, and Mossheart groaned, knowing he would be spending the whole morning away from Fernbranch.

            As the patrol started off, he felt a pelt brush against his, and he looked to see Reedtail smiling at him, Mousestripe by his side.

            "Hey, Mossheart," Reedtail said.

            "Hi," Mossheart replied. "Hi, Mousestripe."

            Mousestripe gave a nod and smiled. "No Fernbranch today?" she asked.

            Mossheart nodded. Reedtail and Mousestripe had become mates shortly after Reedtail's warrior ceremony. Mossheart was happy for the two and glad things had worked out between them. Mossheart gazed at Mousestripe now, seeing Smokestar in her. She looked so much like her father with her white and black pelt. The only thing different was her eyes. They were an icy blue, like her mother's.

            The two padded ahead, leaving Mossheart behind with the rest of the patrol. Leaf-bare was almost upon them, and Mossheart guessed it would be less than a moon before the first snowflake drifted down from the sky and covered the ground. Prey would be scarce, and he was not looking forward to caring for the clan.

            As they walked, Mossheart suddenly spotted a thin squirrel. His eyes widened, and he licked the corner of his lips. With less prey, he wasn't able to keep his stomach as full, and he leapt, catching the squirrel by its tail. It got free, beginning to scurry. Mossheart couldn't afford to lose the catch though. He chased after it, eventually grabbing onto its neck. He sunk his teeth into the squirrel, killing it instantly. He picked up his piece of prey like a champion.

            Mossheart turned, realizing he had gotten away from the patrol. He buried the prey, promising to come back for it later. He then spotted the tip of Cloudfur's ear and padded off in that direction, finding the patrol once again.

            "Where did you go?" Cloudfur asked.

            "I caught a squirrel," Mossheart told him.

            "Where is it?"

            "I buried it," Mossheart told Cloudfur. "I'll get it once we return."

            "Alright then," Cloudfur said. "It's good that there's still some prey around. I wonder what we'll do when leaf-bare comes. Did you see any other prey?"

            Mossheart shook his head. "I'll keep my eye out, Cloudfur."

            The rest of the patrol lagged on. With not much prey, it was boring, and the remarking of borders wasn't much fun either.

            Mossheart shuddered as they padded by NightClan territory. He remembered back to the battle where he thought he would lose Fernpaw forever. It had only been a few days before he had left for his expedition. Now, the border was quiet and calm, like when he had first seen it,

            "Were there any more threats from NightClan after I left?" Mossheart asked Cloudfur.

            "A brand new leader- Silverstar," Cloudfur told him. "She was the mate of the deputy, if you recall."

            Mossheart nodded, remembering the outrage his clanmates had had when they thought Waterdrop and Featherwing had murdered the tom.

            As the patrol ended, Mossheart left them to find his squirrel he had caught earlier in the morning. Mossheart sniffed the air, trying to pick up the scent. Remembering the path, he came across his hole once again, unburying it. The squirrel still perfectly laid in the hole, and Mossheart picked it up, heading back to camp.

            He watched as Fernbranch ran up to him as he headed into the camp, smiling at the squirrel he had caught.

            "Thank goodness some cats have found prey," Fernbranch told him. "The pile is getting low."

            "I know," Mossheart told her. "Can you take it over there? Maybe we can share a mouse or something."

            Fernbranch nodded, taking the squirrel over to the pile. There seemed to be one mouse left for the two to share, and they sat down together in camp, sharing a squirrel. Fernbranch nibbled a little of it, leaving the rest for Mossheart.

            "Are you alright?" Mossheart asked.

            "Fine," Fernbranch replied. "Actually, I—"

            She was cut off by the sound of Cloudfur yowling for the mid-day patrol to come in. Mossheart turned to her. "Are you on that patrol?"

            "No," Fernbranch told him. "I need to tell you something, actually."

            "What?" Mossheart asked.

            "Fernbranch!" the yowl of Wavestorm rang through the camp. "Come here for a second."

            "Why is Wavestorm calling for you?" Mossheart asked.

            "I don't know," she said, though it seemed she did as she willingly padded over to the she-cat to talk to her. Yawning, Mossheart decided to get some rest. Leaving Fernbranch to talk to the queen, he padded into the warriors den, curling up in his nest.

            He closed his eyes, attempting to rest. At one point, Fernbranch padded into the den and snuggled near him, keeping him warm. He slowly fell asleep, reassured by her presence.

When he awoke, he saw she was gone, and it was nearly evening. Had he really slept for that long?

            Mossheart padded into the camp, seeing Fernbranch chatting with Sunflash and Honeyleap. Her eyes brightened as she saw Mossheart, and she stood up, walking towards him.

            "You finally woke up," she said.

            Mossheart nodded. "I felt you next to me, but then you left when I woke up."

            "I was going hunting," Fernbranch said. "I decided to leave you to rest."

            "Oh," Mossheart said. "What was that thing you were going to tell me earlier? You got cut off, remember?"

            "Oh, that," Fernbranch said, gazing down as she shuffled her paws. As she looked up, her face was full of worry. "Mossheart, I'm expecting our kits..."