Chapter 30

"Mom, my pelt looks fine!" Jaykit complained as Mossheart watched Fernbranch lick his pelt roughly.

            "Jaykit, you've got twigs and sap coated in your fur," Fernbranch complained.

            Mossheart smiled as he watched Patchkit and Tinykit wait nervously for their turn. Today was there apprentice ceremony, and Mossheart could not believe how much they had grown. Only six moons ago, they'd been small, helpless kits, and now, they were going to train to be warriors!

            "My turn!" Tinykit squeaked as Jaykit finished. Mossheart laughed as Jaykit quickly fixed his fur back to the way it was. It reminded him of himself.

            "Are you excited?" Mossheart asked Jaykit.

            Jaykit nodded. "I'm going to be the best warrior there ever was in SnowClan!"

            "That's still awhile away," Mossheart told him. "You have to train for six moons."

            "Who do you think our mentors will be?" Patchkit asked.

            Mossheart shrugged. "I'm not sure. I'm sure Cloudstar has chosen someone perfect for each of you," Mossheart told them.

            Fernbranch nodded. "You'll all be perfect apprentices, I'm sure. Your turn, Patchkit."

            "No," Patchkit moaned, walking towards his mother.

            Once Patchkit had finished being groomed, Fernbranch rushed with the three kits over the rock where Cloudstar stood. Mossheart breathed in the fresh new-leaf air. Now that leaf-bare had finished, prey was being found again, and no cat suffered from greencough anymore.

            Mossheart sat in the crowd with Fernbranch, smiling as his kits slowly sat by the bottom of the rock.

            "ALL CATS OLD ENOUGH TO CATCH THEIR OWN PREY JOIN BENEATH THE ROCK FOR A CLAN MEETING!" Cloudstar yowled. He turned, nodding for Mossheart's kits to come up.

            Fernbranch turned, smiling at Mossheart. Mossheart smiled back, turning to face his kits who stood proudly on the rock.

            "Jaykit, Patchkit, and Tinykit have reached six moons which means they are ready to become apprentices," Cloudstar began.

            "Jaykit," Cloudstar spoke. "From this day forward, until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Jaypaw."

            Mossheart smiled as Jaykit stepped forward, smiling.

            "Fuzzytail," Cloudstar announced.

            Mossheart turned, spotting Cottonnose's son make his way out of the crowd. He dipped his head. "Yes, Cloudstar?"

            "You are brave and loyal. Pass these onto Jaypaw," Cloudstar told him.

            "I shall, Cloudstar," Fuzzytail replied. Mossheart watched him make his way towards Jaypaw and touch noses with him.

            "Patchkit," Cloudstar spoke, moving forward to Mossheart's other son. "From this day forward, until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Patchpaw. Stoneclaw," Cloudstar spoke.

            The golden brown tom made his way out of the crowd to face the leader. "Yes, Cloudstar?"

            "You are fearless and a caring. Pass these traits onto Patchpaw."