Chapter 18

Mosspaw quickly walked across the forest, searching left and right. He knew Moonpool was nearby, and he knew the cat he had thought died would be here too.

Mosspaw didn't know where to look. He did not know where to go. All he could do was walk. All he could do was search.

Evening was upon him now as the sun slowly began to descend. He knew he needed to find the cat now. He needed to find Moonpool now. He did not want to wait another moment.

Mosspaw's heart sank as he now came out to a field. Wooden fences that protected two-leg nests were strung across the field, and he knew he had gone too far. Moonpool was nowhere near her.

Before he could turn away, however, he noticed two black ears prick up. He cautiously approached the bush where he had seen them, but the ears had disappeared now. Perhaps it had only been his imagination.

Mosspaw turned away again, though this time he heard the rustling of bushes. He turned again, this time seeing the tip of a tail fly by.

"Who's there?!" Mosspaw called out, his chest puffed out as if he were brave and courageous while he was truly terrified for his life.

He inched towards the bush now, his footsteps lightly touching the grass in the field. With each step he took, his heart beat faster. He was now close enough to the bush to brush the leaves aside.

He breathed in deeply, then pushed the leaves and branches aside. His jaw opened in surprise as he saw who sat in the bush.

"S-Snakekit?!" he exclaimed.

The black she-cat's green eyes sparkled as she saw her old friend, though they sparkled with sorrow, not joy. A pink collar was strung across her neck, and a rusty gold coin was attached. She has gained weight too, and she slowly moved out of the bush.

"Snakekit, is that really you?" Mosspaw asked.

"Gloria now," Snakekit spoke, sitting down on the ground.

Mosspaw bounced with joy. "I can't believe you're alive! I thought you were dead, and I was terribly sorrowful! Oh, but now you're here! We can go to SnowClan together, Gloria! We could be mates, you could have kits!" He spoke quicker now. "We could be warriors together. Wait...why didn't you return if you didn't die?"

Gloria sighed and shuffled her paws. "Mosskit--"

"Mosspaw," he corrected her.

"Mosspaw," she corrected herself, "Everything you have mentioned sounds lovely, but alas, I cannot go to SnowClan, I can not be your mate..."

"But...why?" Mosspaw whimpered.

Gloria sighed. "Mosspaw, you remember when I disappeared in the river, correct?"

"Of course. I thought you died..."

"StarClan rescued me and aided me, but they also conveyed a message. While they told me where you and Ginger would be, they told me that I was only to come to the SnowClan forest with you, not to SnowClan itself."

"But why? We loved each other, Gloria. We wanted to train together," Mosspaw protested.

"I said the same. They told me that you had another destiny to fulfill, one that did not include me in it. I was heartbroken, Mosspaw. I wanted to tell you, but I wasn't allowed."

Everything had all made sense now. Gloria's depression during the journey had all been because she was getting closer to SnowClan, she was nearing the day when she had to leave him.

"They told me they would send me a sign, and they did, Mosspaw. That fox was not there to hunt, it wasn't there to make a burrow. That fox was a sign from StarClan that was supposed to lead me away from you. As much as I didn't want it to happen, it had to. And now you know the truth, Mosspaw."

"But Gloria, what happened to you after? How did you find me?" Mosspaw asked.

"The fox scampered off as soon as I was far enough away from SnowClan. I then made the journey back to my home."

"You traveled all the way back?!" Mosspaw exclaimed.

Gloria nodded. "Yes. My owners were thrilled to find me. They made me an indoors cat from then on. My name was no longer Snakekit, but Gloria once again. I got this pink collar, and I was taken to the cutters one day. After that day, I've never been much into exercise or playing. Naps and food were what brought me joy. My owners moved to the neighborhood a few moons ago where StarClan came to me and told that you would be coming. I've come into this field every day to wait for you and tell you the truth, and now you've come."

"Oh, Gloria, I've missed you," Mosspaw purred, rubbing his cheek against hers.

Gloria purred her familiar purr, and she licked his cheek. "I know, I did too."

"Gloria, please come with me. I still love you. Oh, I love you so much. Please," Mosspaw begged.

Gloria shook her head. "I love you too, Mosspaw, but I can't come."

Mosspaw sighed. "I was expecting that response. Is this good-bye then?"

Gloria nodded. She nuzzled Mosspaw with affection. "Good-bye, Mosspaw. I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," Mosspaw spoke, tears forming in his eyes. "Do you know where Moonpool is? I've been trying to find it."

Gloria nodded, pointing her tail to the woods that lied up ahead. "Through those trees and you'll find it."

"Thank you," Mosspaw said, beginning to walk away. As he walked, he turned, gazing at Gloria one last time.

"Good-bye and good luck!" she shouted, waving her tail at time.

Mosspaw smiled and dipped his head. He looked at Gloria one last time, for he knew this was the last time he would ever see her. He then padded off through the woods.

Mosspaw rushed through the woods. He wanted to cry. He would never see the glorious she-cat again, and he was mad at StarClan for sending her away. The last thing he wanted to do was go to Moonpool, but he knew he had to.

Mosspaw looked around but saw no pool. Frustrated, he continued to run through the woods. He stopped, beginning to hear the sound of rushing water.

He slowly padded through some bushes now, wondering if Moonpool lied just around here. He padded through the trees and bushes, coming across a pool with sparkling blue water. Suddenly, he remembered everything here. Everything seemed familiar.

Moonpool! He had found it after moons of searching. Now, Mosspaw padded towards the swirling pool of water. He smiled, and he laid down next to the pool. He did not have to touch his nose to the pool, however.

A cat appeared in the water before he had the chance. Mosspaw could not recognize the cat at first, but soon it came into view. Mosspaw couldn't believe his eyes. It was Fernpaw! The cat in the water was Fernpaw!

Suddenly, it all made sense. He had been told to look for something special. What he had not realized was that she special thing he had been searching for was not in these woods, but it had been with him all along. That thing was Fernpaw.

Fernpaw. Mosspaw's heart ached as he thought about her. He knew now that he truly loved her, and he had to get home to her as soon as possible. Mosspaw backed away from Moonpool and began to run through the woods. He needed to get home. He needed to be back with Fernpaw.