Chapter 21

Mossheart awoke to see Fernbranch's green eyes staring directly at him. "Good morning," she mewed.

            "Good morning," Mossheart spoke.

            They headed outside into the morning light. It seemed morning patrols had already left, and mentors and their apprentices were beginning to head out.

            "So, what happened...while I was gone?" Mossheart asked.

            "What do you mean?" Fernbranch asked.

            "Like, who died? What cats gave birth? Who are the new apprentices?" Mossheart asked.

            Fernbranch smiled. "C'mon, I'll show you them. Let's go to the nursery first," she told him.

            Mossheart nodded, following her into the nursery. Inside he spotted familiar she-cats. Wavestorm sat in the den, flicking her tail. She did not look pregnant, and Mossheart tilted his head, confused.

            "She decided to be a permanent nursery queen," Fernbranch whispered.

            Mossheart nodded, and the other cats looked up, smiling. "Mossheart, you're here," Wavestorm said. "Last time you visited the nursery you were just a small apprentice."

            "I just came to check with everyone. It's been awhile," Mossheart said. He turned, seeing Dovewing in the nursery, her stomach swollen. It seemed she would give to Cloudfur's kits soon. He also recognized Dawnpool with three kits of her own. One was a ginger tom. The other was a white and ginger she-cat. The last was a gray tabby tom who resembled Dawnpool.

            "Oh, Dawnpool, I didn't know you had kits. Who's the father?" Mossheart asked.

            "Blazeheart," Dawnpool proclaimed. "The ginger tom is Hailkit, the white and ginger she-cat, Breezekit, and the gray tom is Marshkit."

            "Well, congratulations," Mossheart told her.

            Mossheart turned, noticing a ginger she-cat, one he had never seen before. The she-cat had three kits beside her. They looked as if they were to be apprentices soon.

            "Who are you?" Mossheart asked.

            "Flameclaw," the she-cat replied. "You obviously don't know me. I'm a RiverClan cat who joined this clan quite recently. These are my three kits," she spoke.

            "Who's your mate?" he asked.

            "A tom you would not know either. His name is Barkfern, and he's a LightningClan cat."

            Mossheart tilted his head, confused at all these cat and clan names. "Oh, well, nice to meet you," he spoke.

            He turned, noticing a familiar calico she-cat. She had three small kittens with her that looked newly born.

            "Leafpaw?" he asked.

            She smiled. "Leafwhisker now," she purred. "These are my three kits, Mosskit, Riverkit, and Shadekit. My mate is Darkjaw. I'm sure you remember him."

            Mossheart nodded. "Yes, I do. Well, it was nice to see all of you," he said, exiting the den with Fernbranch.

            "So who is Flameclaw?" Mossheart asked, confused.