31 - I Don't Know How You Feel (Part 1)

a/n: and so we're back, sundance! we'll be seeing a lot more interaction between Dinah and Lauren in this chapter to help establish some things for the later ones to come. that being said, the song rec for this chapter is Amused by Hunger. fingers crossed that you'll appreciate reading this one. hearts!

xxxxxxxxxx

"Okay so you gotta walk me through what you have in your closet 'cause unlike how it is with Mila, I'm not all that familiar with your... style." Dinah gestures to Lauren's outfit that was still from the night before as the two walk away from the cafeteria.

"Wait, Dinah..."

"Hey, you're still wearing your clothes from last night's party! How come you didn't get a chance to change--"

"Dinah! Wait, I have a very important question to ask you."

The taller of the two girls squints her eyes at Lauren before saying, "This isn't about bikinis, isn't it?"

"No..."

Hearing Lauren say this, Dinah stops walking and turns to fully face Lauren who was walking beside her. Already having an idea of what the whole thing will be about, the taller girl crosses her arms over her chest and with a serious tone asks, "What do you want from Mila?"

"Huh? Wait, let me just explain fir-"

"I've been her best friend for so long, Lauren. I've seen the girl get hurt one too many times. You think this is the first time someone's tried to ask me to help 'em fucking manipulate my best friend into opening her heart to someo-"

"Dinah! Wait, please listen to me. Geez." Lauren exhales a shaky breath and puts a hand through her hair.

"You have three minutes."

"First of all, I would never ask you to manipulate Camz in any way."

"Not the first time I've heard that before." Dinah says as she keeps a stoic look towards Lauren.

"And second, I - I'm not - God why is this so fucking hard? Okay. Here, look." Lauren begins pulling her wallet from her back pocket to show Dinah some of the lyrics she's scribbled over the weeks.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! You are not bribing me with money. You think I--"

"I'm not going to bribe you with anything, Dinah. Please try to hear me out first." Lauren looks Dinah straight in the eyes and the taller girl, seeing how genuine Lauren is being, lets out a breath, letting her shoulders relax.

Lauren pulls out from her wallet some of the pages she's taken from her journal and gives it to Dinah. The taller girl accepts it, her brows furrowed the first few seconds before reading through the short scribbles. Lauren watches in anticipation as she lets the other girl see just how deep she's in for Camila.

She's got bits and pieces of every little thing she feels whenver she's around the smaller girl written there in the form of a song or, to be specific, unfinished songs - how she sees Camila's faults and imperfections as more reasons to fall for the girl and how being around Camila makes Lauren feel like magic and coming home and more than just fire and every thing else between.

"What are these?" Dinah asks after a few minutes, sitting down on the steps of Camila and Lauren's cabin.

"The truth."

"What?" Dinah asks in confusion.

"Look, it's a long story but to cut it short, before I checked myself in here, I go from town to town with my best friend and sing in bars and events for a living."