24

“Is she dead?”

”No you dummy! She’s sleeping! God!”

”Guys! Shut up! She’s waking up.”

I opened my eyes slightly, and was met with a blinding white ceiling. I groaned. 

“Mia?” 

I looked to the right to see James, Sirius, Remus, Lily, Marlene, Mary, Alice, Matt, Leo and Jake all huddled together, staring at me. I grinned, gasping as Sirius lunged at me, giving me a bone crushing hug. I laughed, using my available arm to hug him back. He finally let go when Leo coughed and wiggled his eyebrows at us, which made Sirius smirk and me push him away, my lips twitching.

”What happened Mia?” A voice said, firm and hard. I looked at Lily, who was unsmiling and stern looking.

I managed a grin. 

“Just went for a walk and got attacked by some animal. Nothing to worry about!” I said, the lie falling easily out of my mouth. She stared at me for a few seconds. 

“You’re lying.”

I stared at her, my eyes widening. 

“What?” I mumbled, unable to convince her that I wasn’t lying. I was shocked. Apparently, I had grown too close to them. No one is supposed to find out about the other part of me. 

I looked at Matt and Leo, a panicked expression on my face. They understood immediately, and both gave silent nods. 

“You’re lying.” Lily repeated, her eyes narrowing. I mirrored her expression, as everyone else looked between us. 

“No I’m not. I told Matt yesterday I was going for a walk. Ask him if you want.” I said firmly. Lily turned to Matt, who nodded.

”She did. And haven’t you heard? Dumbledore said there were lots of wolves in the forest, because the no-majs are hunting them.” 

“The What?” James cut in, confused. 

“It’s an American term for muggle.” Jake replied, smiling slightly. James made an o shape with his mouth. 

Lily’s mouth was pressed in a thin line, and her arms were crossed. 

“Fine. But I’m not convinced.” Her face softened. “But if you ever do want to tell me, I’m here.” 

I smiled slightly. 

“Oh! By the way guys, this is Jake, he’s a 6th year Ravenclaw. He helped me once in the library.” He grinned at the group, who all greeted him. 

“So Mia. You coming to Hogsmeade with us this afternoon like you said?” Marlene asked, as I stood up from the uncomfortable bed. I grimaced. 

“Sorry girls. I forgot to tell you. I’m, uh, spending the day with Sirius...” I muttered, whispering slightly. Marlene grinned slyly. 

“Don’t worry about it.” She said, bobbing her head up and down. “I have to get you your present anyways.” 

“You don’t have to ge-“ 

“Hush! Of course I do!” She cried. 

I smiled, slowing down so the others could catch up. I walked next to Sirius, who kept smirking at me. He stopped when I kicked him in the shin, though. We reached the Great Hall for breakfast, chatting. People still stopped and stared, but I just ignored it now. We sat down at the Gryffindor table, Matt and Jake included, which earned more stares and whispers, and ate our food in peace. I was still wearing yesterday’s clothes, so I was filthy, but I would have a shower and change after breakfast.