Prophecies in the Bible (1)

One of the most convincing things about the Bible being true is that it has had dozens of prophecies come true throughout history and even in our modern day. As Christians, this should be no surprise to us, as it is the Word of God, but it is another thing to help give us confidence in our faith as well as convince others of its power.

There are many different types of prophecies, so today we will be focusing on historical ones – or prophecies we have seen fulfilled in history.

A prophecy made was that the country of Israel would be split apart with no king or temple, but that one day it would be a nation again.

Hosea 3:4-5 - For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim: Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the latter days

The Roman Empire was the nation to ultimately obliterate Israel, totally raiding it's temple and demolishing it. The people were spread across the globe with no government, no central place of worship, no place to truly live and call their own. Yet, in 1948, they somehow had enough of their legacy to return and start a nation again under the same name, language, and religious beliefs. Even the church for many centuries believed that God had replaced Israel with the church, but they were proven wrong when Israel was again made a nation and protected by God even to this day.

Another prophecy, made by Jesus, was fulfilled when the temple was destroyed several years after He was on earth by Roman soldiers.

Matthew 24:2- And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

The Bible said that the end times would not really be understood until knowledge increases and people travel around the earth. Interestingly, people only really started to get interested in and get a modern understanding of the end times in the 1800's, a time when people first truly started to move around the earth at a rapid rate and knowledge had finally started to be distributed among the average person.

Daniel 12:4 - But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

As we can see from these three examples alone, the Bible has proven itself to be reliable when it comes to saying what will happen.