What Is Salvation?

Most people wants to go to Heaven. A person who says otherwise may not believe in Heaven or think that they are too bad to go, but still, in their heart, most probably want to go.

So, what does the Bible say about going to Heaven? Do I have to be baptized and take the Lord's Supper? Do I have to trust Jesus and then work really hard at being good? Does everybody just end up in Heaven?

Well, the first thing to think about is why even is there a Heaven and Hell? The reason for this is because, first of all, everybody has at some time in their life done something wrong. You, me, pastors, that nice neighborhood lady, murderers, EVERYONE.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

And because we sin, we deserve to go to Hell.

Romans 6:23a For the wages of sin is death;

Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

EVERYBODY who has ever told a lie will go to Hell, not because God wants people to go to Hell, but because God has to be fair and just. Think of it like this, someone killed your whole family. Then in court they said, "But I did so many good things! I gave to the poor, I helped the elderly and orphans, and besides, my life was hard, my parents were abusive. Besides, it's not like I raped someone or robbed a bank. It was just one family." What kind of judge would just let him go and act like those things meant the law was void? A bad one. If we, wicked as we are can realize this, I believe God, who is perfect and righteous, will also not tolerate our sins. Besides if God let sin into Heaven, Heaven wouldn't be perfect anymore, would it?

So, how do we avoid Hell if we're all headed there? Well, because God loves us and wants to be with us, He decided that we wouldn't have to die. In fact, He decided that He would pay for our sins by dying Himself. So, He became a man, lived a perfect life, and died on a cross so that way we would not have to die in Hell. It's like if we owed a huge debt we could never pay for, and someone who loved us volunteered to pay it all. That's what Jesus did.

Romans 5:8 - But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

So, after this, Jesus Christ came back to life to not only prove He was God, but so that one day all that accept Him as Savior will come back to life physically in a new body.

1 Corinthians 15:3-4 - For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

1 Thessalonians 4:14 - For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

So, since Jesus Christ paid for our way to heaven, we don't have to do anything to pay for it! If I bought you a present, but said you had to work or pay me cash to get it, is that really a present? A present is something freely given. A present is also something freely taken though. If you never come to get your present, you never have it. So it is with eternal life.

Ephesians 2:8-9 - For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Romans 10:9 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Galatians is an entire book of the Bible dedicated to help people understand that trusting Jesus Christ alone without works only can take a person to heaven.

If you believe Jesus is God, that He died to forgive you and rose again, that He alone can save you and not your good works or baptism or anything else, if you never have before, would you be willing to ask Jesus Christ to be your Savior as well as trust He will save you? If you trust Him today, you WILL go to heaven, that's a promise. One way to show you believe is to ask Him through prayer, maybe even out loud. Again, this can't save you, but it is a way to show God you believe and also bring peace. If you have never done so, I would encourage you now to do it.

Once you trust Jesus to save you from Hell, Jesus promises you will be saved forever, even if you sin again, and you don't have to do anything to keep yourself saved.

John 10:28-29 - And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

The no man in that verse includes you. If you have accepted Jesus, congratulations! If not, I understand not everyone is convinced or ready, but remember this, the more you know about salvation, the more God will judge you when you appear before Him. If you knew the truth and did not accept you will be held more accountable than someone who heard little or nothing. Again, this is not out of hate for you, but because God must be fair and just. It would not be fair to punish someone who heard nothing the same as someone who did hear. God's ultimate will is for all to trust Jesus alone, though, as soon as possible.

Romans 2:5-6 - But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; Who will render every man according to his deeds. 

1 Timothy 2:4 - Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

All have the choice and are personally accountable to God. I don't stand between you and God, no one does. But I am instructed by God to tell others. Regardless of your choice, you are still loved by God, and I pray God will be patient and merciful to you, but there is no guarantee of tomorrow, and I pray you would do what would be pleasing to God.

Proverbs 27:1 - Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.

James 4:14 - Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

Thanks for reading! I pray the best for you and God's love and life on your heart