Who Is Satan?

In Christianity, the greatest enemy outside of our own stubbornness is Satan.

The history of Satan was that he was an angel named Lucifer, which means bringer of light. He was a beautiful cherub, covered in gems and containing things to create music. He grew discontent serving God though, wanting to be greater than God. In truth, it was not Adam that was the first to sin, but Satan. After sinning, he convinced one third of the angels in heaven to join his side, and God had them all cast out of heaven. Eventually, when Jesus Christ returns, he will be cast into a bottomless pit and after that the lake of fire for all eternity. For now though, Satan freely moves between earth and hell and many believe even now heaven to accuse and try to get people to worship anything but God.

Isaiah 14:12-15 - How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Ezekial 28: 13 -16 - Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee. By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.

Satan does have spiritual power. The Bible says that the idols people worship are really worshiping devils, as though the rocks and clay have no power themselves, devils often attach themselves to these things. He is so powerful, that God says he is the god of this world. He is the one who the people of earth who are not Christians worship and allow to rule their lives.

1 Corinthians 10:20 - But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

2 Corinthians 4:4 - In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

He is called the Accuser, (which is the literal meaning of Devil), as this is often how he interacts with us. He accuses us before God and even we ourselves can feel his accusations when we feel that God can never love us or that God could not save a sinner like us. He also actively tempts us with things to keep us from doing good or to get us to do wrong.

Revelation 12:10 - And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

To overcome Satan and the followers of him, both physical and spiritual, we must pray to God for deliverance, who will help us. We must also make an active decision to follow God and resist Satan.

Ephesians 6:13 - Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

James 4:7 - Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

1 John 4:4 - Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.