In Defense of Paul

Something some non-Christians accuse the Bible of being is corrupted by Paul the apostle. This is usually for a few reasons, some of which we will look at today and hopefully refute at least in the minds of Christians if not hopefully non-Christians as well. We will also look at very credible reasons why Paul was a true apostle.

The main reason people accuse Paul of being a fake apostle is because he explains things the Gospels and Jesus Christ briefly mention, but did not thoroughly expound. For example, the idea of salvation by grace and faith alone is mentioned by Christ

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 5:24 - Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Now, because it was not time, it was not as fully explained as it is in the books of Romans and Galatians, but Jesus said this would be. He said after He left, the Holy Spirit would come and teach the things Jesus taught, the apostles teaching more than even He did, which is truly fulfilled prophecy if we have faith Paul is a true apostle.

There are many other reasons Paul was a true apostles. The first clues can be found in the book of II Corinthians which exists mainly to defend Paul. This was because certain people were telling the church of Corinth that they didn't need to listen to Paul's letter that said fornication was a sin and that we should respect the Lord's Supper. So, the book of II Corinthians explains why Paul believes he is God's apostle.

First, Paul was once a prestigious Jewish leader, who persecuted the church of God. He gave up all his honor and authority to be a Christian though, and was consequently whipped, stoned, shipwrecked, and imprisoned. This does not sound like a purposefully deceitful man looking for glory and riches.

II Corinthians 11:23 - 29- Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft. Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches. Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is offended, and I burn not?

Second, several of the churches among the non-Jewish people (Gentiles) were because of Paul. If these were fake churches, surely, the fake "gospel" would have fallen away, as so many other gospels of that time that were fake fell to the wayside or are barely followed today. There would definitely be plenty of evidence of what the true Gospel is.

II Corinthians 2:2-3 - Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

The third reason can be found in the book of Luke. When some idol worshippers saw Paul perform a miracle through the power of God, they wanted to worship him and sacrifice a cow to him, something Paul refused to accept. If Paul was really looking for glory and worship in the defiance of God, why continue to be whipped and tormented and instead take the easy route of being worshipped as a God?

Acts 14:18 - And with these sayings scarce restrained they the people, that they had not done sacrifice unto them.

Forth, the other apostles accepted Paul. At first they feared him, thinking him come to kill them. They soon found him sincere though. Luke wrote about his life in Acts (as well as Peter's), and Peter mentions him in his letters. Paul was clearly seen to be a respected member among the other apostles.

II Peter 3:15 - And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto yo

Finally, even Paul himself many times says a man can not be an apostle by his own will, but by God's will. He points to God as his final authority as an apostle. If he was a false apostle, that would be like a criminal quoting the law to rob a bank. It's just backwards.

In the end, if a man is really a false prophet, looking for the things of this world such as glory, riches, and fulfillment of lusts, it makes no sense for him to give up a position of prestige to be beaten and humiliated, refuse worship from willing men and women, and be affirmed by other Christians as a man of God. It makes no sense.

Romans 16:18 - For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

The only conclusion we can come to is that Paul was sent by Jesus Christ, our God, Lord, and Savior. He does teach the same things as Jesus Christ, Paul merely expounds on them, revealing things clearly that were more hidden before Christ died. People who try to deny his writings as being inspired by the Holy Spirit are trying to do again make veiled the clear doctrines of Christian faith. They can still be found in the words of Jesus and even the Old Testament, but they are less mentioned and therefore harder to find.