Riches

The Bible has a lot to say about being rich and handling money, things that even if non-Christians follow, they will be happier.

The first thing to mention is that money is neither sinful nor bad in itself. Money is in fact a good thing which can be used to help the poor and the hurting.

The problems come when certain things occur. The first is when people love money, covet things, or just overall make their main goal in life to be rich, especially to the point when they ignore other's needs.

Proverbs 21:13 - Whoso stoppeth his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard.

Proverbs 23:5 - Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.

1 Timothy 6:9-10 - But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Since money does not last, living for those things is meaningless. Even if a person does accumulate all the riches they can, these can never truly make a person happy or satisfied. Our eyes always seek for more and more and unless we force them to not look, will not stop. Another thing to note is if we look for money to to heal us or take the place of relationships in our lives, we shall be very disappointed.

Proverbs 15:17 - Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.

Proverbs 27:20 - Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.

God also says those that get rich by illegal means or through hurting others will be judged harshly by God.

Proverbs 22:16 - He that oppresseth the poor to increase his [riches, and] he that giveth to the rich, [shall] surely [come] to want.

This alone though, does not mean all rich people are bad. LOVE of money is the root of all evil, not money itself. The man who buried our Lord Jesus Christ was quite rich. God also used over the centuries rich men and women to do His will, whether by feeding and clothing the poor or spreading the holy Gospel. Money is clearly a blessing to be enjoyed. Lifting it any higher than this though will only cause sorrow.

Proverbs 19:17 - He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.

1 Timothy 6:17-18 - Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;