Marriage (2)

Though marriage was talked about previously in this book, I would again like to take up the topic, but this time talk about how couples are supposed to interact in a Christian marriage.

In a Christian marriage, God says the relationship of a husband and a wife is a picture of Christ and the church.

I think an important thing to note here is that many people say men and women have different roles in society. This is partially true, but not as much as some Christians take it. Men and women have different roles, but these roles exist only in two places: marriage and the church. Outside of this, the Bible does not really talk about men and women being in separate roles.

So, today let us discuss the roles of husband and wife in marriage.

The husband and wife are to work together to make a happy marriage, and neither is one hundred percent responsible for it.

The role of the husband in marriage is to physically provide for the family's needs; to help his wife spiritually if she needs it; and to give honor and protection to his wife as she will likely be physically weaker than he is, even if this means death for himself. He must even love her and treat her as he with the care he would his own body. This is all because this is what our Lord Jesus Christ does for us.

1 Timothy 5:8 - But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Ephesians 5:25-26 - Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

1 Peter 3:7 - Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

The wife's role is to obey and submit to her husband, to make sure the home is running smoothly, and to respect what her husband does to provide her and her children with physical things. While the Bible encourages wives working outside of the home, it does imply that her first job is to make sure her home and family are in order.

Ephesians 5:22-24 - Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

Proverbs 14:1 - Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.

1 Peter 3:6 - Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

Despite these different roles in marriage, both spouse are to love each other, listen to each other, and work together to run their home. God says both husband and wife are to respect each other. Both husband and wife should physically satisfy the others romantic needs. Both husband and wife should never divorce the other. What one is held to account for, the other is as well.

Ephesians 5:33 - Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

1 Corinthians 7:5 - Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

1 Corinthians 7:12-13 - But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

If one marries, make sure they keep in mind the responsibilities as well as the privileges God requires of them.