Prayer

Prayer is an important part of being a Christian, as it is literally talking to God. It helps us in many ways, and likewise is glorifying to God.

Christians pray for three reasons. The first is God. We pray to thank Him, glorify Him, or talk to Him.

Psalm 103:2 - Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

The second is for others. We pray for their benefit, that God will have mercy on them, and thank God for them.

1 Timothy 2:1 - I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

Finally, we pray for ourselves asking God for forgiveness for sins, for things we need, and things we desire personally.

Philippians 4:6 - Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

Besides this, there is a certain method of prayer. The Bible says we are not to pray pre-written prayers, as this not God's will. It is like having pre-written conversations with our family members, bosses, and friends.

Matthew 6:7 - But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Jesus Christ gave a prayer than as an example of what to pray for.

Matthew 6:9-13 - After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.Give us this day our daily bread.And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Jesus Christ shows us everything Christians need to pray for. First, recognize God's holiness and greatness, giving Him glory. Second, ask for God's will on earth. Third, the needs we have. Forth, that God woudl be forgiving of our sins as we forgive other's sins. Fifth, that we wouldn' be near the temptation of sins and the pain they bring. Finally, we again recognize God's greatness and glorify Him.

Now, every prayer does not have to be like this or in this order, but this is an example Jesus Christ gives us to show us what we need to pray for.