What Is Church?

Church. Church in Christianity has two meanings.

First, anyone who has accepted Jesus Christ as Savior is part of the body of Christ, making a sort of universal church. No, that doesn't mean visiting your Christian Grandma means you went to church, because there are two meanings, but the church of God does have a sort of universal term in that we are all saved and should all commune with each other as fellow Christians.

1 Corinthians 12:12 - For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also [is] Christ.

The second meaning of church is the meeting of Christians together to worship God in a formal manner. So, just because you watch a service online or visited a Christian friend means you went to church. What qualifies as church? Churches are supposed to be in a specific place, whether it's a person's home or a special building, it should be clear that the people are gathering for that purpose.

1 Timothy 3:15 - But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Also, there should be more than one person present. You can not have church alone online.

Matthew 18:20 - For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

What should you do at church? In the Apostle's time several things were done at church. We don't have to do all of them, but many we do. Often they prayed, sang, and ate meals together on a daily basis.

Acts 2:42 - And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

The main purpose of church though is preaching, which shall be expounded on in a later chapter. The book of 1 Timothy, devoted to teaching how church should be, talks a lot about who may be a pastor.

Church is something Christians should attend. Even if a Christian is tired or sickly or busy, he or she should try to attend church once a week. It helps a Christian stay encourage as well as to keep their mind and heart on the right things.

Hebrews 10:25 - Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some [is]; but exhorting [one another]: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Who is welcome in the church? Pretty much anyone is. The only person not allowed to go to church is a Christian who is committing a very grave sin such as adultery, incest, or murder and refuses to repent or try to overcome it.

1 Corinthians 5: 1 and 5(1) It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. (5) To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Later, this man repented, and was joyfully allowed back into the church.