Divorce

God's opinion on divorce has always been the same, though through the centuries He has been lenient because of the stubbornness of men.

Jesus said that all marriages should look to the structure Adam and Eve's marriage for an example as to how theirs should be structured. One man and one woman together until death. So, divorce is not a part of God's ideal for marriage.

Matthew 19:3-6 - The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. 

Another thing God says is that if someone is divorced, they should not marry again, and a Christian should not marry a divorced person, as long as the divorced person's spouse is still alive, as this is equivalent to adultery.

Matthew 19:9 - And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

In the Bible, there are only two exceptions to this rule. The first, was mentioned in Matthew 19:9. In Jewish custom, getting engaged was equal almost to being married. Jesus Christ says if a person commits fornication while engaged with someone they are not engaged to, it is alright to "divorce" them. The second place where it is said to be acceptable, is when a non-Christian voluntarily leaves his or her Christian spouse. As the Christian spouse cannot force a person to stay married to them, God will not judge them or think poorly of them for other people's choices. The Bible does say that a Christian should not leave their non-Christian spouse though, but that they need to be the better person and try to work it out, as this grantees their spouse abd children having some Christian influence that could lead to conversion and/or a better life in general.

1 Corinthians 7:10-16 - And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife. But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

Now, does this mean a person has to live with an abusive spouse? No. Divorce and physical separation are two things. Living apart from someone who would beat on or sexually abuse their spouse, children, or other people should be in prison, where they most certainly can not live with their family. God does expect parents to care for and protect their children, and if a physical separation is necessary, it should be taken. Divorce, though, in it of itself, is not what God's will for any married couple, no matter how bad it gets. God wants the couple to eventually reconcile and be at peace together.