Who Were the Apostles?

In the Bible, there are men known as apostles. It is good for us to understand exactly who they are though.

The apostles were twelve men who knew Jesus Christ as He was on earth and were ordained to help establish the church through the power of Jesus Christ. To be an apostle, you had to meet very specific requirements.

First, an apostle is picked by God, not men. No man can make himself an apostle, nor the church. Rater, God specifically calls him to it.

Ephesians 4:11 - And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

Galatians 1:1 - Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)

Second, an apostle had to know Jesus Christ personally. Since no one on earth today has, that is why there can be no more apostle's.

Acts 1:21-22 - Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

Judas Iscariot was an apostle, but this privilege was removed when He betrayed Jesus Christ.

Acts 1:20 - For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

The other Mattias is considered by some to be an apostle. The other apostles "cast lots" (kind of like flipping a coin) to pick him, but many believe that this was not truly God's picking but rather the picking of men. Whether or not that is so, I will leave for readers to decide, though personally I do agree with that idea.

Acts 1:23-26 - And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.