Chapter 20: Keto

The warm sand felt good on her feet as the smell of salt infiltrated her nose. People scampered away from the broken jet in the sand. Moon stepped out of the wreckage.

Jane was looking at the ocean waves as they crashed into the sand. "Patchwork and Herring, get going and tell headquarters that we were captured due to a malfunction on board."

"No backing out now." Moon hummed.

Jane turned towards him. "Having second thoughts?"

He gave a small laugh. "I meant what I said, I'm not leaving you."

Jane sat on the warm sand and Moon accompanied her. "Think this'll work?"

"Them believing us? For sure."

"No." Jane sighed. "Do you think...I...we can actually do this?"

Moon laughed.

"What's so funny?" She scowled.

"The stubborn girl two years ago would have trusted her gut." He stopped laughing and gave a long exhaled. "Is it because you're weaker?"

"When you used my eyes I didn't freak out because of you all..."

"Jane, what are you not telling me?" He sounded worried and his jaw was tightened.

"I had on a faded black dress, my horns were longer, my face was half black with blue lines. I could hear people in pain." Jane's hands dug into the sand. " I saw myself with a sword."

He muttered. "It's just that mark trying to get a grip on you."

"What if it's not Moon? If I lose control, promise me that you'll stop me by any means." Her voice shook slightly, her worst fear was becoming too powerful to be condensed, a rouge weapon destroying anything in sight and then some.

"I promise." Moon wrapped his arms around her. "I'll find a way to get rid of it before that happens." He let go.

"Remember the moves we did?" Jane smiled with confidence burning in her eyes.

"What are you planning this time?"

"Just follow my lead when they come." She looked up at him.

"You seem pretty helpless without me so I will." He said jokingly.

"It was my intention to get caught." She playfully fpunched his shoulder.

The sky turned to a vibrant orange.

Then to a majestic dark violet.

Police tape sectioned off a portion of the beach.

"We have about 1 minuet." She brushed off the sand from herself.

The waves crashed upon the white sand.

Music played in a nearby open restaurant.

"Will you catch me when I fall?" Jane almost whispered to Moon.

They we're back to back, Jane faces the ocean while Moonshine faced the back shore.

"You have tried to keep me safe, they try to keep you wild, let me defend you as you have done for many others."

Jane rolled her eyes at the prolonged comment. "Lets do 10%"