Chapter 10: Freak

Beeps?

Beeps.

Beeps of monitors.

So she was alive.

Where was she?

In a med bay?

No.
She could hear lots of people outside, doctors and nurses.

Birds chirped.

So she was above ground.

She wasn't in Nick's, Phantom's or Iwix's place.

Slowly Jane opened her eyes.

Shifting her head to her right was the monitor and IV. Touching her head she felt a stabbing pain in her side.

Broken ribs.

Cradling her side she sat up.

It was a hospital and there stood a bug eyed woman in a flat blue outfit.

"Your up?" She approached carefully.

Right. Horns. That's why.

"I..." Her throat felt like sandpaper.

"Do you know how you got here?"

"No."

"What's the last thing you remember?"

It took her a moment to answer. "Hung out with friends then wake up here."

"What's your name?" She said sweetly as her bun bounced on her head.

Jane didn't answer her.

The woman sighed and sat on the side of the bed. "Do you have parents? A legal guardian? Someone who takes care of you?

Jane bit her lip and curled her knees to her chest.

"We have people that can help you sweetheart. Please?"

"Jane Moore." She said reluctantly.

"Do you have anyone we can contact?"

"Everyone who's related dead."

The woman sighed.

"No Social Services."

"Then how did you really end up on the street? Did someone kidnap you?"

Jane glared at her. "3 years."

"Did they hurt you? Make you do things that you didn't want to do?" The woman sounded more concern now.

Jane bit her lip again. "Wanted me as a weapon."

"Why a weapon?" Her eyebrows crinkled

Jane touched her horns. "Training. Brainwashing. Testing."

"Do you know any names?"

"No."

The woman gave a half smile. "I promise that they won't get to you." She placed her hand on Jane's. "I'm just going to check on your lab results and come right back. There's security guards and staff members here. Your safe, no more fear."

The woman left to room.

She was kind but was dead wrong. This place was like a mind field. Cameras, infiltration, bombs, snipers, full blown attacks, you name it. But at least there was security right? Wrong, could be fake guards or crooked cops. Nothing could protect her except solitude.

Jane sighed and turned to look at the window on her left. There wasn't any rain or heavy wind out today, just peaceful sunshine as birds sung their hearts. A momentary blissfulness like the eye of a hurricane.

Then it struck her, lab results. Even she'd know about the confusion of any test.

Her cellular degrade, once removed from her body, was quicker without the constant energy that she produced to make her portals. They are ever changing due to the unsuitability the energy causes it resulted in almost inhuman cells. That also means she has a limit on how fast she could use her powers. The glow produced would be like easing into high speeds as compared to slamming the accelerator.

The collar was designed to exploit that particular type of weakness. Rapidly changing the output of electricity caused severe pain. If the person had normal cells then it would behave more like a taser.

Peeling off the IV Jane got up before taking the cords that were attached to the monitors off. After she did that there was a louder beeping sound that the monitors produced. Poking her head out the door she could see to her left that some doctors were rushing towards her. A little to her right was a hallway. Not thinking much of it she rushed there.

Wrong choice.

There was two muscular security guards right there.

"Whoa, slow down kid." Said one of them. ""Are you lost? Let me see your band."

No powers, cameras.

"Uhhhh." Jane said raising her arm before the other one calmly scanned it.

"Let's get you back into bed, ok?"

Jane stood there still shocked that she hadn't sensed them before turning. The man gingerly turned her around and brought her to the frantic staff members. Once they saw her many sighed and left the room except one

"Don't scare me like that!" Said the woman from before. "You shouldn't be out of bed."

The guard simply left and shut the door. Jane stayed quiet as she sat on the side and the nurse joined her.

"Please, don't do something like that again. I don't even know how you managed to get up with you ribs" She huffed. " I don't want you to get worse so stay in bed."

"I'm fine..."Jane mumbled.

"Your not fine, you have broken ribs! You're in no condition to be released yet."She sounded concerned. " I did get your results back but they were...well...off."

"They weren't compromised." Jane said quietly. "It's just what happens."

The nurse gave a half smile. "What is it?"

"It... came with the horns." Jane said reluctantly hoping she could get out of here faster.

"Thank you for that." The nurse smiled as she looked at her tablet that had some medical informatics. "Now, how old are you?"

"17."

"Do you go to school? Have a job?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"It's a long explanation." Jane shifted to her side and curled up away from the nurse.

"Well I'll let you rest and no explorations."

"Ok." Jane said quietly as the nurse left again.

Wasn't that hard to play innocent and weak kid.

Simply act pitiful and ignorant.

Next thing you know there's a window of opportunity.