Chapter 13: Mask

Perched on top of a nearby house Jane watched as the target of the day, Fisken Win, fumble with his keys after returning home from a nearby bar. Drunk he stumbled into bed with his suit still on. No wife, no kids, everyone on the block is asleep, cameras have been disabled, and electrical fire in motion. All Jane had to do was keep the windows and doors shut so Mr.Win can't escape.

Of corse a part of her felt guilty but the man was terrible. Killing his first wife, bribing his way out of jail, taking money from the company, and refusing to give bonuses when someone below disagrees with him.

There, she could see the flames start to crawl from the attic to Win's bedroom and eat away at his flesh. Creating boils atop his skin the man was already dead from alcohol poisoning for he never screamed. His lifeless body was now nothing but roasted skin and bone. Jane called as someone who was taking a midnight jog and saw his house explode into flames. Disconnecting quickly enough for her escape.

If she wasn't going to do it Nick would.

Leaping across lawns she avoided the security cameras as she got out of the neighborhood. The nightly news made her come to a stop. A place selling tv's had her name written in the headlines. The nurse from when she woke up was talking. Her heart pounded in fear of what she said.

"She jumped out the window but before hitting the ground Jane disappeared."

Snapping of photos and talking made her turn away from the screen. Right, still in suit. There was a small crowd across the street.

Making a peace sign Jane smiled. "Gotta split!"

Acting like she was going to take a step her portal opened up and she disappears inside.

Can't wait for the papers tomorrow. Vigilante stops to watch TV. At least she had some time to get a better rep than costume chick.

Appearing a few blocks away she took a few portals to her abandoned building. Peeling off the suit she realized that she didn't really have anything else. Getting a job with a black and blue costume on is pretty bad but is better than none at all. Too bad she didn't have an extra pair of clothes in the briefcase.

Taking the scarf off the costume Jane sighed.

Social Services or a church, so many choices.

Services will probably think she's suicidal, any church would think she's a demon or something. A church could inform Social Services what area she was in. Someone else could also step in at both places.

Jane groaned. It was 2 in the morning and had to realize just how hard getting clothes was going to be. She stretched out and put the suit back on with the mask, hood and scarf tucked inside their case. Removing the utility belt and armor as well she decided to leave around 4 AM. No traffic, still dark, chance that papers still won't be on the streets yet, and lots of business are closed.

She laid down and took a nap.

Birds started to chirp and Jane struggled to prop herself upwards. Headache, more like migraine. Just another side affect to add when switching types of powers. Getting up she grabbed her stuff and left.

It was exactly 4:07 when she stepped outside, the sun hadn't risen yet, little traffic, business not open, just as planned. Walking slowly down the sidewalk Jane figured that an officer or someone would take her to social services, eventually. They'd know she had no money, no family, no real connections, just a runaway horned freak and stealing wouldn't help her case.

Grabbing a free map from a little box next to a sign she followed it to where she could get some clothes.

Closest option was the police. All that Jane needed to do was come up with an explanation for why she jumped and disappeared. Perhaps she could just stay quiet and improvise. She didn't use any powers especially now that more and more people were starting to come.

Lets just didn't take long to find the police station.

Because a cop car just pulled up.

A female officer rolled down her window. "Whatcha doing kid?"

Jane just kept walking.

"Look, a lot of people are worried about you." She stepped out of the car and her partner did as well.

Jane stopped. "I think if I survived this long I can take care of myself."

"Why don't you take a ride with us."

"What's in it for me?" Jane huffed.

"A decent meal and fresh clothes." Said the cop's partner who was rather boney.

"Fine." Jane said with a smile as she sat in the back sheet of the car.

Police.✅

Social Services.

Clothes.

Anderson Stewards.

Job.

Agace Jeffery.

Jon Norrv.

Destroy Phantom.