Racist family

Shawn's apartment was filled with people. his family from his mom's and dad's side and a couple of his old Canadian friends. He called Ryan six times but there were no answer. "Shawn!" His dad called out from the kitchen. Shawn slid his phone into his right pocket and slowly made his way over towards his dad who had his left hand in his left pocket while holding a canned beer in his right hand. "Hey Son, there's some people I want you to meet" he said taking his hand out his pocket laying it on Shawn's shoulder. They walked further into the kitchen where three females stood lounging around. They all were beautiful. One of those females were middle aged, between thirty and forty and the other two were about Shawn's age maybe younger. "This is your mother's friend milly who just moved down here" his dad said. Shawn nodded and smiled. "And These two are Natalie and Dian, her daughters. Oh and they're single too" he added while nudging Shawn's shoulder. They all chuckled.

"Hey, nice to meet you" Natalie said shaking his hand. shawn stood eying the front door then back at Natalie. He kept his eyes at the front door hoping he'll see Ryan walk right through it.

"Hey You okay?" Natalie said.  Shawn looked down at her hand as she started to slowly caressing his right arm which made him feel uncomfortable. Her hand immediately dropped after he admit to having a girlfriend.

About an hour later, Shawn's mother Karen, had finished cooking the food and everybody sat at the table, some people sat in the living room because there were no more seats available at the table. They all began to eat. Shawn's heart started to beat when he seen his uncle picking up a portrait picture frame of Ryan holding it up in the air. "Who is this!" He yelled across the table. Karen looked towards Shawn then down at her food. she looked guilty because of the way she was raised and the way

"Yeah This is about the tenth picture I seen of her around this apartment. Even in your closet. Don't ask me why I was in your closet just tell us Who is she?" His dad added

"Her?" Shawn said trying to play dumb about it. They all nodded. The table grew so quiet, the only thing was heard was the sound of metal forks tapping on glass plates.

He wanted to lie but remembered what Ryan said all last week about meeting his family.

"You don't know who this black girl is?" His dad said.

"That's ryan, my..my next door neighbor..." Shawn stuttered.

"Okay.. but why you have pictures of her laying around this apartment? You're not dating her is you boy ?" His uncle said.
Shawn was stuck. He didn't know if he could handle telling them the truth. He didn't want his family to hate him. They are all a racist except his mom and Aaliyah. His uncle was the most racist person in the whole family. He hated black people and Mexican people. Shawn had no choice but to lie. It would be easier to tell the truth if Ryan was here. But she's not and at that moment he hated her for not being here.

"Never mind" the uncle said. He stood up and pulled out a lighter from his jacket pocket and began to set the picture on fire. "Tom stop! That's not necessary!" Karen yelled reaching for the picture but he pulled away. They all watched the picture being burned into ashes. "Bring the others!" Tom yelled. Karen got out of her seat and stopped them. Shawn stood running his hands trough his hair trying to stay calm. Why would someone have that much hate on Ryan. If only he could get to know her, he will see what Shawn see.

"You people are crazy" Karen said.

"Crazy? You were just like us a few months ago what happened Karen?" He said

He shoved her to the side and grabbed every picture of Ryan he could find and set them on fire. Shawn watched as they burned into ashes. His fast beating heart and his sweaty palms started to take over him. He looked down. "Shawn you need to Stay away from her." He said. He wanted to choke his uncle so bad but that would escalate the situation. His phone buzzed and he snatched it out of his pocket to see who it was. It was Ryan. She apologized for not being here but also said she was standing outside the door. He looked over at the family who were still sitting at the table eating. The door bell rang which got all They're attention. "I wonder who that could be?" His dad said. Shawn opened the door halfway and rushed outside.

"Come here" he said grabbing onto Ryan's arm and pulling her towards her apartment.

"What? What is going on shawn!" She said stopping.

"Nothing I just want to go over to your apartment" he said.

"Aren't your family over at yours? I want to meet them." She said walking back over to his apartment. Just when she was about to open the door Shawn yanked her back.

"You for real shawn?!"

"You can't go in there now"

"Why the hell not?"

"Can you just go back to your apartment? I'll call you"

"No!"

"Why?"

"Shawn I'm not in the mood right now. I've been through hell these past 7 days, now move I just want to say hi"

She grabbed open the door but Shawn slammed it back and shoved her back towards the sidewalk.

"What is your problem!" She said.  she snatched her bag from off her shoulder and threw it aside.

"They don't want to meet you right now Ryan"

"Is that right? Let me go in there and see for myself!"

"Ryan just go. I'm sorry but they have no respect"

"You promised though? I told you before that words don't hurt me"

Shawn started to walk back towards his front door and Ryan followed. He wanted her to meet his family but they were too racist. A second later Natalie walked out the door. She was going towards her mom's car to get her charger but she kept staring at Ryan. Shawn seen that she was staring so he walked away from Ryan. "Hey," he said towards Natalie. "Um.. hey" she said with hesitation still eyeing Ryan. Her and Shawn started to talk and Ryan tried her best to get his attention but he tried to avoid her. After chatting with Natalie, she made her way back inside and Shawn headed back over to Ryan.

"That was the most disrespectful ass shit you have ever done to me"

"Oh come on, What did I do?"

" I don't even want to hear it. Consider yourself single." Ryan said.

"You can't be serious? Just because I don't want you to meet my parents?" He yelled but Ryan kept walking towards her apartment. The clouds began to roll in and it also started to sprinkle.

Shawn's people started to come outside heading to their cars to leave. He spotted his uncle staring at Ryan as she headed inside her apartment. "Thanks for everything shawn" his aunt said pulling him into a hug. He smiled and nod.

Ryan threw down her bag on her bed and headed towards the window watching Shawn's family leave. She stopped being mad at shawn and thought maybe it was for the best.