XII

*Enjoy Reading*

Chapter XII

'You!' she jolted awake with a start and looked around looking for the source of voice. It was lunch break and so she decided not to go to the café or anywhere but to doze off on her desk.

Her eyes landed on Wajdan. 'Me?' she asked.

'Yes you,' he said and grabbed the chair from across her desk as he made himself comfortable on it.

'You are not looking good. What's the problem?'

'Nothing,' Shehwar was quick to deny.

'That just confirms my suspicion.' he said leaning back in the chair.

She never found someone so nosey in her life before. What was his problem anyway? Didn't he have anything else to do?

No one knew where Ozhan was, no one knew of his whereabouts. Shehwar didn't try reach him, and as far as she knew, only her aunt was the one to continuously call him. Her son hadn't been home for a while and she was beginning to get worried. He didn't answer her calls and this added to her worry, he was her only child. So she was always found with her phone around the house.

It had been a month since the bomb explosion and it had been also a month with Wajdan's pestering.

'What can I help you with?' she asked instead. Ignoring what he said.

'Dur-e-Shehwar you can trust me, I told you, didn't I?'

That was the last thread. She placed both her hands on the table and leaned forwards. 'And why would I do that? Who are you to me?'

She wasn't normally harsh with people but he was just becoming simply a headache for her now.

He stared at her, wide-eyed then he quickly composed himself. Obviously, this reaction was a new to him coming from her. 'I can be if you let me. I want to be.'

Shehwar gave him a perplexed look. Furrowing her eyebrows as she reluctantly drew back in her seat.

'What, what do you mean by that?' her voice faltered.

'I want to be someone who you can trust. I want to mean something to you.' her eyes widened as her heart thudded in her chest. She did not see that coming. She opened and closed her mouth like a fish. It had suddenly went dry. She had to have heard him wrong. He wasn't implying on what she thought he was.

'Wh-at even?!' she began stammering.

Wajdan smiled at her reaction and looked down as he folded his hands on the desk between them.

'Can I send my mother over to your house to ask for your hand in marriage? I really like you.'

Now she nearly chocked on her spit. Yup, he was implying what she thought he was.

Thankfully, no one was around to hear him.

'Did I speak French?' he raised an eyebrow when he found her at loss of words.

She couldn't help an eye roll as she retorted. 'Believe me, I know the language and I understand it perfectly alright.' 

Shehwar sighed, 'It's just hard to digest. I've never been-' she stopped her voice faltering once again. She shook her head when Ozhan appeared in front of her and told her the reason for the engagement breaking off.

It was the same, just a twist of words, or he was more direct in proposing her in an indirect way. He made himself clear he wanted to marry her, so that was a proposal right?