CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

Start from the beginning

Nodding, Lucas then turned to the brunette perched next to the window, "Cassie, what is Dustin's ETA?"

"He should be arriving any minute now..." Cassie trailed, her eyes focusing on the road.

The walkie talkie then began to sputter, pulling everyone's attention towards the wooden table. The radio soon cut to Dustin's voice, "This is Gold Leader, returning to base. Do you copy? Over."

"He's in range," Will spoke from the couch. "That means he's close."

"I don't see him yet." Cassie shrugged.

"This is Gold Leader, returning to base. Do you copy? Over." Dustin repeated, frustration setting in. "I repeat: This is goddamn Gold Leader-"

"Dusty!" His mother called in the background, causing the group to let out a series of giggles.

From beside Cassie, Eleven took a seat and spoke to her, "Is Dustin angry?"

"Probably," Cassie joked, turning to El with a grin. "I mean, he's been gone for a month and he thinks we've all ditched him."

El furrowed her eyebrows, "But we didn't."

"Exactly. We didn't." Cassie assured the girl. "Once he finds out that we were here all along it'll all be worth it."

"Man, I can't wait to see the look on his face when we all jump out." Lucas joked.

Moving her gaze back out the window, Cassie watched as a yellow car pulled into the driveway. Smiling, she announced to Lucas, "Well, you won't have to wait any longer. He's here guys!"

Grabbing Cassie's hand, Eleven led the girl over to the large stone wall that wedged between the hallway and the living room. They had chosen to hide there because Dusting wouldn't be able to see them when walking out of his room.

After Eleven and Cassie situated themselves, Mike followed the girls, standing on Cassie's other side, while Will, Lucas, and Max followed just after. While everyone was standing in place, their backs resting against the stone wall, Lucas leaned forward and whispered, "Nobody make a sound. It is very important that we stay absolutely-"

"Lucas, shut up!" Max whisper/yelled, pulling him back onto the wall just before Dustin and his mom entered the house.

As soon as Dustin Henderson disappeared into his room, Cassie turned to Eleven and nodded, "It's go time."

Shutting her eyes, Eleven began to manipulate the toys in Dustin's room with her powers, making them come to life with movement. Soon, a series of robotic beeping sounds filled their ears, followed by many zapping and crashing.

"It's just a dream..." Dustin's voice appeared in the hallway. "You're dreaming."

When making his way to the center of the living room, Cassie turned to Eleven again and spoke, "Now."

Eyes shooting open, the toys suddenly powered down.

Lifting her gaze to Mike, Cassie felt his hand grasp onto hers as his voice spoke softly, "Let's go."

As quiet as a mouse, the group of six snuck up behind Dustin, who was looking down at his toys like a nervous teenage boy, one hand clenched at his side while the other gripped a can of Farah Fawcett spray.

There was a moment where Dustin's face washed blank with confusion, like his brain couldn't process fast enough to take in the information from his wide eyes. After all, toys couldn't just move by themselves.

From the front of the group, Lucas unrolled the 'Welcome Home Dustin' sign, and Max held up her fingers, mouthing the words, "One, two, three..."

Blowing out their noisemakers in unison, the group excitedly raised their arms up into the air.