Chapter 29: Calm Before The Rainy Storm

----

At border town. The entire area was silent except for the low grunts and chatter of army men who patrolled the area silently and anxiously.

A ghost town without its residents, according to the plan, everyone had already evacuated to a safer town under the protection of the vermilion bird army.

Ruyi appeared from the shadows a clenched fist in his palm. His eyes full of seriousness as he reported to Tianhuo.

"We have opened the main gates, seems the Bu lords are currently in a standstill in front of the main gates. They have revealed the hostages and as it seems, they will be used as shields in case of an attack by us."

The atmosphere grew icy. The killing intent seeping out from Tianhuo who silently tapped his fingers to a murderous rhythm. A dangerous glint in his eyes as he finally broke his silence.

"...Seems they were prepared."

Tianhuo smirked as he place a cup to his lips. Ruyi knew that right now, Tianhuo was dangerous, when lives were at stake. Having reported, he quietly disappeared, leaving the angry tiger to the tigress.

If feiyun knew what Ruyi was thinking, she would have labeled him as a crafty fox.

Tianhuo turned to Feiyun who was standing in the back near the open window.

A black falcon lightly perched on her shoulder. With beady eyes it silently waited for Feiyun to offer some treats. Tied to its leg was a small rolled up paper. As soon as she gave it a good amount of treats she place a hand near her shoulder and the falcon inched over, it's talons gripping firmly.

Stretching her hand out the window, she lifted and released the falcon. Tianhuo watched as the bird rose higher and faster away, disappearing into the clouds. 

Unknowingly bringing  his hand to his heart, it felt heavy and ached slightly; an  itching worry in his chest that bothered him.

'When did I become so soft?'

He chuckled softly to himself with a self depreciating smile.

This was war anything could happen but Tianhuo didn't know what he would do if anything happens to Feiyun.

"Stay with me."

Tianhuo's voice was serious with just a hint of gentle worry. Pulling Feiyun's attention towards him.

Feiyun smiled as she elegantly walked over, her posture upright, the aura around her was as it had always been, Fearless. Her calm eyes never leaving his, a feeling of comfort washed over his worried heart.

"Hmm? Of course. That was my intention from the start. I trust FeiDu."

Flashing a gentle smile his way, but Feiyun was still unable to hide the small amount of worry in her eyes. Tianhuo raised an eyebrow and shot her a questioning look. A strong hand circling her waist and pulling her closer to him and then onto his lap.

Unable to resist the questioning blue eyes, hesitantly, Feiyun answered in resignation knowing that Tianhuo would insist to no end of she didn't tell him,

"According to FeiDu, they won't reach position until sundown. But right now if the Bu lords attack and we reveal our plan, if they chose to retreat back  and we're fight them out there with the back up of their archers in the trees, we would lose... or we let them escape and end up at square one. Either way, we still lose."

They both stood together in silence in the large room. A problem has presented themselves here. They only have one choice which is to stall for time until FeiDu and the snipers arrive on position.