Chapter 23: Jade Vermilion Abbey

"Wake up, we've arrived"

As sleepy as she was, Feiyun opened one eye while still snuggling in Tianhuos arms. His broad chest was comfortable and strong. She felt safest in his embrace. Glancing up, Feiyun caught his blue eyes staring back at her. 

"Thanks..."

Feiyun mumbled as she tidied herself and opened the curtains, wondering when she had fallen asleep. 

Looking out, the carriage stood before a pure and reposed Abbey. Its walls made from a white jade that was cold to the touch. Surrounding the great abbey was a lush and green forest. 

The journey through the deep valley was truly worth the view even though it was night, Feiyun could feel the calm atmosphere very much different from the capital's busy lifestyle. 

A young nun came out from the side door, holding a lantern as she bowed forward in greeting. 

"Heaven's blessing travelers."

Just as she finish, a older, wise looking nun appeared, having recognised Tianhuo she bowed deep and greeted. 

"Heaven's blessings upon the 4th Prince Xing Tianhuo  and Princess Consort Feiyun."

Hearing that, the younger nun immediately bowed deep, her face pale as a sheet of paper, trembling like a leaf in autumn.

"P-please forgive me your highness!" 

Tianhuo barely looked towards the little girl, waving his hand to dismiss her as he stepped off the carriage and forward into the abbey.

Having lead them to a lodging, the younger nun prepared and served the tea, her arms still trembling in fear. 

"Heaven's blessings for Princess Consort Feiyun, I'm the Abbess of this abbey, may i ask what brings the princess here at this hour?"

Feiyun bowed her head with a hand cupped in the other, after that she recieved the tea the abbess offered and brought it to her lips, the smell of chrysanthemum soothing Feiyun's tired body.

"Thanking Abbes Hu for the tea. I came...to place my mother's memorial ash tablet here."  

Abbess Hu simply smiled and nodded her head, she gave off a warm and motherly feeling. 

"Our abbey is not a place many people would choose to put their loved ones tablets. Because we're located deep in the valley on the border of the southeast, travelling here to pay respect is tedious, if you are okay with that we can prepare a place for your mother."

Feiyun smiled she didn't mind the journey rather she was happy that this place was away from the eyes of people.

 A tranquil and peaceful place with a worldly view of the setting sun and the wide sky. She did not have a mother in her previous life and this was all she could do to thank the woman who gave birth to Feiyun of this world, releasing her mother from the captives of the four walls was only right. 

The wise abbess said a soft prayer as she stood up, telling them to get some rest and tomorrow they will proceed with the preparations.

After Abbess Hu left the room, Tianhuo watched Feiyun as she absentmindedly gazed out the window. Feiyun's eyes reflecting the gentle willow tree that stood outside the window, gently blowing in the breeze. Tianhuo couldn't help but wonder why Feiyun seemed like fragile broken glass. 

Tianhuo picked up her hand, smoothing over her palm and fingers.  Intertwining their fingers easily, as though the spaces were made just for them. Feiyun blushed as she watched his blue eyes observe her fingers and slowly rose to meet hers.