Chapter 16. The Whole World

Lydia's POV

That sounds heavy but I still want to know so I move closer to him he stays very still. "I want to know." I tell him softly. He sighs pushing my hair behind my ear with his fingers and nods.

"I'll give you a shorter version of the story I heard but it'll still make sense I'm sure. You ever hear about Apollo and Artemis?" He asks.

"Greek mythology? The sun and moon god?" I ask arching an eyebrow.

"Yes." He nods. "Good. Well apparently a man by the name Ambrogio he was an Italian born adventurer went exploring wound up in Greece meeting a woman by the name of Selene. Selene worshiped Apollo but when she met Ambrogio they fell in love and agreed to run off together. Apollo didn't like this so out of spite he cursed Ambrogio to be burned by the sun couldn't go out in daylight." He explains and smiles when he see's the 'awe' in my expression due to the old love story.

"And?" I breath.

He chuckles. "Ambrogio wasn't about to give up so he went down to Hades-"

I gasp and he purses his lips trying not to laugh.

"Hades agreed to help lift the curse for Ambrogio but he had to take Artemis's bow and arrow from her and had to leave his soul in hell until he returned. Ambrogio agreed Artemis found out he was trying to steal and cursed him with not being able to touch silver which is what her bow was made of without burning. Ambrogio being the good guy he was apologized told Artemis the truth and she took pity upon him. So Artemis gave him the gift of immortality which included speed strength and razor sharp teeth to be able to hunt. From then on Selene and Ambrogio were able to be together but she was human and would eventually grow old and die. However Artemis was a virgin goddess and Selena and Artemis had to follow that rule." He gives a distasting look.

"I'm not sure I like where this is going anymore." I admit.

He laughs.

"Oh my god shut up." I blush not meaning it that way but he continues to laugh and I shove him away.

"I'm sorry anyways on with the story. Selene and Ambrogio though together were still...pure and remained that way no kids no sex. Selene on her death bed Ambrogio begged Artemis to do something. Artemis told him that she'd create it to where if he drank all of Selene's blood their blood mixed would create 'children' of theirs and their children would then be immortal. He drank all of Selene's blood and it mixed with his own but killing her. He then was able to bite and create other vampires. Selene now a moonlight goddess so she could reach out with her light and touch her children." He shrugs at my horror struck face.

"Oh my god but it killed her!" 

"You're the one who assumed it was a happy romance." He rolls his eyes, I huff at him and he chuckles. "It's really not that happy but in a sense at least they got to have kids."

"That she never got to meet." I snort.

"She watched them from the heavens." He smirks.

I roll my eyes again and he cackles. "The dumbest story."

"The true story though." He says.

"What makes you so sure?" I challenge.

He doesn't answer my question but his smirk widens. "When I was created John and I went to a place, a place only vampires know about called Infinity Island. It's believed this island was created for vampires to keep a distance from humans so not to give out our true species. We look human for the most part can do many things humans can but we're not the same. Created by different gods." He says softly standing up crossing his arms to look out the window. 

"John had heard of it and wanted to take me there, he didn't understand why the sun didn't burn me nor did silver..." He trails off.

"Almost like the bad curses Apollo and Artemis set in place are lifted." I say thoughtfully.

"They thought I was some sort of goddess and they treated me different for it, I would come to the main land bring humans back to feed the others frequently. Until... the rape and torture began, I'm not going into detail about it but what they were doing to your kind wasn't right I knew it wasn't. I had to have killed at least twenty or more vampires for their horrible acts. Truth is just as humans we know right from wrong to. John and I came back to the main land traveled the world looking for the truth...the year was 1834 when I finally figured it out." He shrugs. 

"Normally vampires can only come to the main land during the duration of the harvest moon. Silver and Sun doesn't affect them for three to four days depends on the year. I believe Selene lifts the curse so her 'children' can feed more freely. During that time they come in taking as many as they can and going back to the island." He says quietly.

"So what was it.. that made you different?" I ask.

As he speaks he lifts his shirt. "I was always very interested in greek mythology when I was young. Never really followed Christianity like my parents-" He pulls his shirt over his head and looks at me taking a deep breath. "Like I said... I was a rebel kid." He whispers as he turns his back towards me, I gasp at the sight.