Chapter 3. Alex

Lydia's POV

It's like I nearly forgot how big Charleston was, I mean it's not real huge but it's big. Portsmouth was small compared to Charleston. Portsmouth with only twenty one thousand people and Charleston with a hundred and thirty thousand people.

Dad and mom chose not to sell our house in Charleston just in case they ever decided to move back. The house has been in my mother's family for quite some time and she just couldn't part with it.

It's not right in the city, it's actually on a road going out of town but not quite out of city limits. The old white house was well taken care of in my family. My mother's family has owned the huge old white house since 1865. It's six bedrooms six and a half bathrooms. The half bathroom is downstairs for guests the other bathrooms all connected to the bedrooms.

Though now we'll only ever use three of them rather then four. There's a large patio and with a large pool and garden area and it isn't far from Shem Creek.

 There's a large patio and with a large pool and garden area and it isn't far from Shem Creek

The house has two sitting rooms a formal dining room and an eat in kitchen. Our house in Portsmouth New Hampshire was far smaller. The basement is practically like an apartment with a kitchen living room bedroom bathroom and game room plus storage. The other five bedroom and bathrooms are upstairs.

The guest house is even really big just past the swimming pool in the back yard. The guest house has a living room kitchen bathroom and three bedrooms.

Why my mom wants this house is beyond me this one is to big for us and the house in Portsmouth was to small for us doesn't make much sense if you ask me.

By the time we finally get home it is one thirteen in the morning. Mom and dad left some things here at the old house just enough to sleep for a night that are in the guest rooms.

I drag myself up the stairs to one of the guest rooms that still has a bed in it and throw my body down onto it not caring that I'm still fully dressed, I quickly fall asleep.

**********

When I'm finished unpacking my room I bounce down the stairs. "Mom?" I call.

"Yes?" She calls from the kitchen.

I walk past one of the sitting rooms down the hallway to the kitchen. "I've finished unpacking can I take the car to the mall I want to see Emily and McKenzie." I tell her, I'd texted my friends that I'd try to meet them at the mall today. I've not seen my two best friends in over a year.

She smiles and nods. "Of course you can." She tosses me the keys.

"Thanks!" I call as I walk towards the hallway. 

Dad's coming down the hallway with two boxes. "Going somewhere?"

"To see Emily and McKenzie." I tell him.